Pinto Fuel Pump

Guest aidankinnell

Guest aidankinnell

Today was going to be the day that I started up my pinto lump in the zero, 9 months of building and it was a very big milestone! I was hoping to post up a video of a nice rumbling zero but no, not possible......

So power on, starter turns but hang on there's no fuel coming through. The mechanical pump doesn't seem to be pumping, we take it off the block and remove the thick gasket then refit, still nothing. So taking it off again we then manually pump it and the filters start to fill with fuel. Refit once again but again no flow.

Does this sound like a duff fuel pump or something more sinister?

It's a 2l pinto with weber 32/36, let me know if any other details are useful.

Aidan

I seem to remember something about different thickness spacers on the pump, you may have thick spacer and short pushrod. I think the spacer is to stop heat soak from the engine. or, I may just be typing bo!!ocks....

Guest Mr_Frosty

Well I just had this on a pinto that I just swapped. About 8 weeks ago now. I didn't see the push rod on the old engine forgot to transfer it. School boy error really make sure that is there. Didn't use a thick gasket don't even think it has one. Not leaking though. :)

Take the inlet pipe off to the carb an if nothing comes out problem before carb less expensive.

Also if it runs (just by tipping a little fuel direct in the carb) for about 5 seconds you know timing and such is right enough.

Guest aidankinnell

Thanks for the responses guys. The push rod was deinately in the end of the pump, I guess maybe too short but I thought by removing the thick gasket that would be resolved.

Guess I might need to buy a new pump and give that a go. Hopefully nothing more serious than that!

push rods not on the pump its in the engine, there should be a 10mm x about 3-4 inch hardend steel bar that works the pump, inside the hole where you mount the pump,

Mitch

Guest mower man

Only the early pumps are serviceable I believe ,the late ones were crimped together, if you get the wrong combo of push rod and gasket you will reduce the pump to scrap or not get correct delivery mower man

My donor engine was an EFI pinto sierra so had an electric pump and a little plate over the mount for the mechanical pump and no pushrod. As I didn't know it didn't have one or even that it needed one a new mechanical pump bolted on didn't pump any fuel. Took a while to realise there should be a pushrod bearing on a cam lobe on the 'jackshaft' (drives dizzy/oilpump/fuelpump) one end and the pump the other. Eventually made one from an old inlet valve stem which is still in the engine ten years on.

Nigel

Guest aidankinnell

Thats going to be it, the donor was originally an EFI so I had removed the little blanking plate and stuck in another donor pump. I'll start hunting for pictures/dimensions of the pushrod.

Thanks for all the advice, I'd pay a monthly subscription for advice like this!