Help-Broken Down In Wales. Super Spec Clutch Cable

edbond

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what clutch cable should be on a super spec, mine broke and have had to drive last 1h40 without....exhausting. Only have an iPhone with me so can't search forums easily.

Also anything unusual about how it should be fitted, it broke at the pedal end.

Lastly, anyone recommend a good garage in Aberystwyth please!

Thanks

Ed

Guy in hotel let me use his computer, found cable

It's a QCC1303, It's off a 81 - 86 Fiat Ducato

(thanks redspec) failed due to stress on cable, will be doing the mod on another new cable when I get home....

Is this a replacement I can do roadside with a socket to undo the pedal side of things, how does it fit to the gearbox? On my old Renault it was a fiddly but easy job! Or is this a garage job?

Last resort is relay home by aa :( only half way through hol and car has been amazing!

Ed, this should be a fairly easy fix.

Remove the pedal box cover and disconnect the old cable (will probably be secured to the pedal by either hex or Allen bolt & nut).

The cable secures at the gearbox end through a 'slotted' hole (can't think of the correct description), after undoing the adjuster nuts (think these are either 10 or 13mm).

The new clutch cable is long enough to route around the front of the engine.

Fitting the new one is a reversal.

Jacking the nearside will help access the gearbox arm, but remember to support with an axle stand or similar.

An hour and you should be done ;)

You'll probably need a couple of cable ties to secure the cable route.

Hope it doesn't spoil your holiday.

Well funnily enough this nearly happened to me Friday. Took the car to work Thurs and Fri last week, about 100 miles each day, (nearly half its annual mileage for last 2 years in 2 days, shameful!) and started to notice a bit of clutch judder in 1st and reverse when engine / drivetrain hot.

Clutch pedal felt strange so had a look at pedal box Friday at work and cable was nearly broken (lots of strands!) near pedal. Got home and had a spare so fitted it, pretty much same procedure (although not super spec), took me about an hour, quite easy with front up on ramps. Modified angle slightly from pedal end to stop it happening again.

Took car out after and incredibly different, much smoother and no judder.

Glad it happened to me before its sold.....

Thanks all, alas the man in the yellow van is on his way. Can't get the part locally so it's relay home time :( lesson learned, carry spare which I can guarantee I will never need!

Ed

That's a shame. As per previous post I'd have thought a resourceful recovery company could have found one to fit, even temporarily. A trawl at a local friendly motor factors would have probably come up trumps. As long as the 2 end fitments are the same, length should be able to be overcome. Guess by now you are on the back of the truck. Good luck.

Andy

Alas the first guy wasn't helpful, but the second was and I now have an unknown clutch cable fitted to the car and back on our way. Alas having to cut out the south west part of Wales as it took ours for them to get to me, then come back again.....not the best service I've had from the aa(13 years on and off membership) also first experience of a suby