Pinto Wiring Loom

Guest SeanK

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Was given my girlfriends dads robin to try and sort out as its been sitting for a while and he's lost the notion for it. The wiring is the biggest problem. Can anyone tell me where I could get a complete wiring loom? It's for a 1.6 pinto

Thanks,

Sean

The loom most use is called a Vicky Green loom

It's a generic loom and will fit most kit cars it certainly worked on my Pinto engined car and should come with a wiring diagram, if not there is a PDF floating about.

Another option is a ready built fuse and relay modual sold by CBS but you will need to make the loom

The Vicky Green loom is no longer available - get one from Premier Wiring instead, good quality and people who have fitted them (myself included) rate them highly.

http://www.premierwiring.co.uk/

I think they're made to order now, not sure of the current price but probably under £150.

Premier make a Sierra based loom that lays out nicely in a 2B. All the harness breakouts have a generous amount of spare wire so you can cut them to suit and connect them to the appropriate components.

They're supplied from Spain now and the price is around £150 unless you can find an unused one second hand.

You could make your own loom as suggested, either by stripping out a Sierra loom or by using new wire and doing it from scratch. The first option would be cheap, but time consuming as you need to refer to a Sierra wiring diagram to identify the unwanted wires and at the end of the day, you'll have a loom made from 25 year old wire.

The second option requires that you're competent enough to lay out the correct circuits using some sort of reference diagram using new wire (of which you'll need a lot, and many different colours). Again, possible but more time consuming and expensive than option 1.

Personally, unless you're building on an absolute budget, I'd fork out for the Premier loom and fit that. The instructions are fairly straight forward once you've correctly identified which column stalks you're using and it's a case of matching the coloured wires in the Premier loom with the relevant wires or terminals on the Sierra components (all identified on the Premier instructions). If you can use a soldering iron, that's about all the skill you need. Any other question you've got will be answered here - plenty of us have fitted Premier looms before without major problems.

Another option would be to join the club (£15 bargain), post up your location and there's a good chance a member in your area might be prepared to have a look at the car. Maybe the current wiring isn't completely beyond hope and possibly having a bit of help might mean that it's easier to get that working instead (assuming it's got one fitted).

Guest snowy2

I bought the wire bulk in three different size ratings and made a full wiring loom for my pinto powered car in a weekend. dash lights engine everthing. it really is easy to do.

FWIW

been down the route of a modified sierra loom and also fitted a premier loom

found the sierra one a pain due to cutting out all of the unused circuts and a huge fuse box

premier was a doddle to fit. very neat and small fuse / relay box that was easily mounted

need to have a soldering iron to hand and heat shrink tubing for the connections

best £150 spent and great service from premier

Guest snowy2

I made my loom (using similar fuse box to that i have seen supplied by premier) for the huge sum of £30.........i figured that if i was capable of building a car (6 so far) i could manage a wiring loom. i never had to sacrifice any chickens or anything.....i just followed the very simple instructions and hey presto a custom wiring loom for my car.

p.s. it all worked first time the only faults were the left right indicators the wrong way round (swapped two wires) and dip/main the wrong way round (again swapped two wires) both were probably my fault in the first place.

I have now made several looms for 7type cars from scratch using all new parts from vwp in ilkeston, time a bit longer than a weekend but that included repining the the sierra stalk plugs, all wires tubed and out of sight and all joints either pluged or soldered. Net result a faultless reliable loom bespoke to the car with no compromise... Cost approx £200 + time