Bending Exhaust Pipes

Jon Bradbury

I've trial fitted my exhaust and noticed it sticks out past the rear wheel by about 3 inches. This is because I wanted the engine to be straight as possible in the chassis.

Anyway, I now need to put a bend in the exhaust pipe after the collector (4 into 1 bit) or before (preferred option but this means bending four pipes). Any ideas as to how I can do this?

Can you not just cut some off the front pipe?

There is only 2 ways of bending tube that size, one, with a machine (forget it, now that it's made) and the other is to weld up all the ends, pack the thing with sand, weld up the remaining end, get it red hot where you want to bend it, and bend the thing, preferably around the correct size block. This way will ruin your finish.

So the answer to your question is, NO!

You might be able to cut a vee from the car side about three quarters of the way through the pipe just behind the weld of the connector into the single back pipe, bend to the desired angle and get it welded up again. Sorry just noticed yours is a DOHC so you should look at this picture in a mirror!

Nigel

Nigel, your idea looks to be the best.

Except, on the RHE collector section, the metal is a bit thinner than the pipework.

I found that, with a little brute force and at the cost of slightly crumpling the collector, I could get the tail pipe in the right position. The damage to the collector was minimal and it faces the body so won't be too visible. The exhaust is now just right.

Thanks

JonB