Twin 40 Conversion - 2Ltr Pinto

Guest S7wreck

Guest S7wreck

Hi,

This is my first post on here so please forgive me if it's in the wrong place.

I have received a bit of a wreck of a S7 from a family member who had given up with his rebuild project. Apart from desperately needing a respray the carb that is on the car either needs rebuilding,binning or setting up (I believe it was sourced from a larger v6 engine) - the car mis-fires badly, runs hot and idles irratically, and the carb is too high to sit under the original bonnet once the air-filter is in place. I was therefore thinking of converting to twin 40's - I have seen a matching pair that are for sale, I know I would need a manifold to fit the pinto but what else would I need to source to make them work.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm a bit thick but this is all new to me so just trying to get my head around it so to speak.

Many thanks in advance.

Guest S7wreck

TBH now you've mentioned it I'm sure it was the 38DGAS that I was told had been fitted.

The car was originally my dads who had fabricated a fibreglass bonnet which has a hole cut out for the air filter, however apart from sorting the running problems I'd much rather re-fit the orignal bonnet which I also have. I see a lot of people on here are using twin carbs, would you not recommend them?

It will take me a while to sort the car out before I would class it as roadworthy as it also has overheating issues aswell as messy wiring to sort out.

PS.. I live about 10 mins drive from Durham.

DGAS can be made to work as all the jets and air corrector a can be changed

Twin 40's are only any good on a fairly standard 2.0L as 33mm chokes are the maximum size that will work properly

45's are better as they will take chokes upto 38mm

Bike carbs are a cheaper install and work better in my opinion

The other heat issues could be crud in the waterways and radiator, give it a good flush out

New thermostat

Check ignition timing

Check cam timing

Guest mower man

Drilling jets is bodgery on a Weber , jets are available widely and people will often swap ,I bought a ready jetted dgas but still had to change idle jets from 45 upto 50 to get a reasonable idle speed , performance is good and so is economy so long as you drive sensibly [ 6 galls 187 miles ] ,ok it is not earth shattering but keeps me entertained mowerman :crazy: :clapping: ps I have a jetting list somewhere I will dig it out

Guest merc190provan

If my memory serves me correctly both throttles open together on a DGAS and simultaneously on a DGAV, correct me if i am wrong. hope this helps correctly indentify your carb. As said before i would go with the bike carbs, available cheaply on an auction site and manifolds are plentiful.

• 2 weeks later...

The DGAS set up correctly will give you a better drive than twin 40's, it will also give you better fuel figures . Bike carbs look and sound good, and are much better than twin webbers but will cost you a bit for a manifold etc, and rolling road session to get them tuned.

I've had 40's on a Pinto, they lasted 1 month then I took them off and fitted a good DGAS.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mower man

If my memory serves me correctly both throttles open together on a DGAS and simultaneously on a DGAV, correct me if i am wrong. hope this helps correctly indentify your carb. As said before i would go with the bike carbs, available cheaply on an auction site and manifolds are plentiful.

not wishing to be pedantic but isn't simulataneously and together the same I think you mean seqentialy , not jibe honest merry christmas mower man

40's are only good for a standard Pinto RS2000 spec, any more and 45's are needed

Rule of thumb

40's max Venturi 33mm

45's max Venturi 38mm

I know you can fit bigger but the Venturi effect is lessened making the carbs less than ideal