Parts For A Pinto To Zetec Conversion Wanted.

Guest Rallyreason

Guest Rallyreason

Pinto to Zetec Blacktop conversion

I am sure this has been covered many times?

However i am intending on converting my Pinto powered Zero to a 2.0 Blacktop. I have a MT75 gearbox already fitted and was possibly going to reuse my ZX6R carbs that are fitted to the Pinto?.

I have sourced the shortening of the sump(member on here).

From what i can work out i will need the following items?

- Zetec inlet manifold to suit ZX6R carbs(unless i can source a ZX9 complete set up)

- A source for the ignition spark etc, possibly a Megajolt?

- Engine mounts

- Exhaust manifold

- Alternator bracket (i have the original Zetec alternator?)

- Thermostate housing?

- Water rail

- Breather blank

- Spigot bearing

- Apparently a different clutch arm pin and release bearing?

I can purchase these all brand new from the manufacturer of my kit. Then i looked at the prices. (like most of you i have to try and stick to a budget).

I have read that the Zetec upgrade is very cheap?

Any help sourcing the required parts please contact me.

Thanks in advance

I'm just in the process of 1.6 pinto to zetec in an S7 and it would be great to see a definitive list of whats needed, however, no 2 conversions are exactly the same.

I could do with knowing who's doing the sump shortening as I need mine doing also.

TIA

Si

Guest chris brown

Cheap is all relative. If using a "new" crate engine about £750 if engine from scrap car then regardless of cost it will need new belts and some gaskets as at the very least it will need some stripping and rebuilding so say £200 plus cost of engine, Clutch, Thrust race, Etc Etc all these things soon add up so put asside about £2000 and if you have some left at the end your on a winner.

Guest Rallyreason

"Strontium Dog" is the person that is carrying out the sump work.

CMA - Thanks for sharing the information. I do have some questions though?

- Breather, i understand what you are saying. Just wondering way GBS blank this off it it is required?

- Why do you think the pinto clutch will take more power than a Zetec one? I thought that the Zetec produces more power in standard form?

- I have found these on Ebay, Casarva mounts for a Zetec. Item 330850313892.(tried to copy the link but didn't work)

Does anyone know if these fit?

- I have spoken to GBS today and i have been recommended to use ZX9 carbs with the TPS fitted (apparently it gives more top end power). Does anyone have any for sale?. They also have offered me there own ECU (similar to Megajolt) to run the Zetec with carbs. Has anyone else had any experience with the GBS system?

Please keep the information coming. Everyday is a school day.

Guest Lowlife

"Strontium Dog" is the person that is carrying out the sump work.

CMA - Thanks for sharing the information. I do have some questions though?

- Breather, i understand what you are saying. Just wondering way GBS blank this off it it is required?

- Why do you think the pinto clutch will take more power than a Zetec one? I thought that the Zetec produces more power in standard form?

- I have found these on Ebay, Casarva mounts for a Zetec. Item 330850313892.(tried to copy the link but didn't work)

Does anyone know if these fit?

- I have spoken to GBS today and i have been recommended to use ZX9 carbs with the TPS fitted (apparently it gives more top end power). Does anyone have any for sale?. They also have offered me there own ECU (similar to Megajolt) to run the Zetec with carbs. Has anyone else had any experience with the GBS system?

Please keep the information coming. Everyday is a school day.

I have the GBS Plenum Chamber (this utilises the ford butterfly valve and is not expensive), Emerald ECU, used the new crated engine from GBS, new engine comes complete with clutch and has been fine (11 trackdays done this year with no problems), crankcase blanked and catch tank from Cam cover breather. You will need an engine wiring loom to splice into your existing loom as well. Had a mate running bike carbs on his Zero, drove mine and now has throttle bodies (personal preference though) Spigot bearing required and thrust release bearing, dowels to mate the MT75 to the engine also required, engine mounts, water rail (would recommend raceline and for the sump also, never been a fan of cut and shut sumps). Obviously coolant pipework as well.

Can't think of anything else for now, but as said before more than welcome to come along and look at my set up.

Guest Rallyreason

Lowlife - i will take you up on that offer. Just let me know when is best?

I have looked at the GBS Plenum. The price isn't to bad, but then you have:

- A very expensive ECU Emerald, Omex (nor asked if GBS do one) which are around the £700

- Then swirl pot

- High pressure pump and filters.

Before you know it the figures have gone out of control.

The GBS ECU i have spoken to them about is for ignition only and can do the 3D mapping. They recommended bike carbs with TPS, only due to you being able to se 3D mapping and therefore get a better tune?

Not sure if it is someone else's that is rebadged, but they said you get the software and base maps. Once i get the Bike carbs and manifold i will enquire more about it.

I am also concerned about who will be able to map it.

So if you modify the flywheel to use a pinto clutch, you can use the current arm (no modified pin and release bearing?) and release bearing?

What is the difference? Is it just location of holes? Are you going to use a Standard 2.0 pinto clutch?

Guest mcramsay

retro ford sell a modified flywheel from a 1.6 zetec. so it is around 3kg lighter than the standard zetec flywheel. the flywheel has been machined to take a pinto clutch, the flywheel is £80 quid, and it will then bolt up with the standard pinto release bearing. retro ford sell the whole kit to turn a zetec engine into RWD. you do not have to go this route though, GBSC sell a modified pivot pin, so that the standard zetec clutch can be used with the correct release bearing (CTT 133?)

all the above works on the assumption that you are using the correct release arm, for the type 9 box there are 3 different types of release arm, one for the pinto engine, one for the v6 engine and there is also another variant. i ended up chasing clutch troubles for most of the running life of the zero last year, only to find when i placed the release arm i was using up against a release arm i know came from a pinto engined type 9 i could see the differences. i was using the release arm from a V6 box, which had a different pivot point, meaning no matter what combination of pivot pin and release bearing i used the clutch always slipped.

as for parts you will need:

-engine mounts,

-gearbox to engine sandwich plate (can be bought from retroford)

a new starter motor ( lucas LRS 707?) can be picked up on ebay for around £40 if you spend hours cross referencing different part numbers!

-the water rail is not essential, but does help with space in the engine bay, on the zero the thermostat housing is really close to the rear chassis rails.

as aleady stated you will need some form of inlet and ECU, GBSC sell their home brew plenum, which for the price really is a no brainer. by far the best option, unless you want to spend some cash then jenvey twin throttle bodies are the way to go, but they are expensive- the emerald ECU is expensive, but worth it i believe, so many functions to go with it and its pretty user friendly. and i believe pairs up well with the GBSC plenum chamber,

-you will also need an exhaust manifold, again GBSC are the people to go to for this unless you want a custom manifold made up.

- you will need an alternator, Once Again GBSC sell a lovley little bolt to gether kit to fit a tiny little denso alternator under neath the throttle bodies, again not the cheapest route, but really realy easy, to be honest if you have acces to a welder, then the brackets and things can be made up your self at home in JIG time, theres nothing complex about it. as i said its just easy and painless to get it pre made.

you will need a wiring loom to connect everything up. how you do this depends on which ECU set up you use, Emerald Sell a pre wired Flying loom ECU plug, which is a basically the ECU plug with all the correct colured wires plugged in, with enough length to run then where they need to go, all you should need to pick up from your exiising car loom is a few 12+ supplies for the injectors, coil pack, and ecu its self, and then on top of that you will need a relay for the fuel pump (which the ecu will control) and a relay for the cooling fan (again the ecu will control this)

as i said the above is for an Emerald ECU set up . but that is the set up i would reccoment, Emerald ECU's turn up on ebay from time to time, and even the older ones are still up to the job

Guest boggybogstar

ok, before i start, trust me i will be joining and paying membership next year, its just i have a problem with paypal at the moment and im only using a tablet thing until i go back to work to sort it out ( im joining because i want to start getting the South going : )

anyway, im in the middle of a major upgrade at the moment which means i have my complete Zetec set up for sale if anyone is inteested, it consists of,

blacktop, just changed the cambelt, fresh top spec oil (done 300 miles), new plugs and maped at 178bhp by Dave Walker this July

mounts

Scholar lowline sump

dunnel lightened flywheel

GSXR throttle bodies and minifold

five air socks from ramair

two (yes two) GBS Manifolds, wrapped in exhaust wrap

Powerspeed silencer, serious bit of kit

standard type 9 gearbox, perfect condition

prop shaft that fits the Zero perfectly

fuel pump and accumulator and HP filter

starter motor

a couple of clutch cables

denso starter motor and all the brackets

ali bonnet, pre cut to fit everything and wrapped in carbon fibre (which can be removed)

basicaly everything you need, in a few weeks time i will know if im selling my Emerald, if i am that will be available with the loom and pre mapped with three seperate maps. if not then im happy to give the maps i have with the stuff above

if you are inteested then let me know, im looking for about £1.9k including the emerald (although not sure yet if i want to sell that bit), so maybe about 1350 without the Emerald, although open to offers

ill try and sor out the membership stuff in the next few days.

Edited by Tony B

Guest Rallyreason

Hi Tony,

I am interested in the GBS exhaust manifold,Powerspeed. (not sure what this is though) and the bonnet.

There may be other items i may be interested in. You can contact me directly via alan.reason@ntlworld.com

Thanks

Guest Rallyreason

ok, before i start, trust me i will be joining and paying membership next year, its just i have a problem with paypal at the moment and im only using a tablet thing until i go back to work to sort it out ( im joining because i want to start getting the South going : )

anyway, im in the middle of a major upgrade at the moment which means i have my complete Zetec set up for sale if anyone is inteested, it consists of,

blacktop, just changed the cambelt, fresh top spec oil (done 300 miles), new plugs and maped at 178bhp by Dave Walker this July

mounts

Scholar lowline sump

dunnel lightened flywheel

GSXR throttle bodies and minifold

five air socks from ramair

two (yes two) GBS Manifolds, wrapped in exhaust wrap

Powerspeed silencer, serious bit of kit

standard type 9 gearbox, perfect condition

prop shaft that fits the Zero perfectly

fuel pump and accumulator and HP filter

starter motor

a couple of clutch cables

denso starter motor and all the brackets

ali bonnet, pre cut to fit everything and wrapped in carbon fibre (which can be removed)

basicaly everything you need, in a few weeks time i will know if im selling my Emerald, if i am that will be available with the loom and pre mapped with three seperate maps. if not then im happy to give the maps i have with the stuff above

if you are inteested then let me know, im looking for about £1.9k including the emerald (although not sure yet if i want to sell that bit), so maybe about 1350 without the Emerald, although open to offers

ill try and sor out the membership stuff in the next few days.

Then again i may have the lot?