Cooling System Issues

Guest Dan_Norfolk

Guest Alan_builder

the nosecone of my RH

From the look of your photo it seems your nose cone is blocked off.

Which begs the question of Dan "Has the nose cone had its hole cutout made"? Silly but we don't have any pictures.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Alan_builder

richardm6994

Is that a number plate spoiler?

I have one too. Don't know how well it works.

On my sons GTM Libra without spoiler the front of the car lifts off the ground at 127mph and at over 100 the steering goes light. There are photos of other GTMs showing the situation with and without, just glad I was not driving the one without.

• 1 month later...
Guest Dan_Norfolk

Just to update this thread, I managed to solve the cooling issues on the car. I took all of the water pipes off the car and cleaned them, checked for any delamination (but all were fine). I then took off the water pump and checked and cleaned it (there was some gunge and small bits of debris as you'd expect I guess); the water pump operated fine. I took the thermostat housing out and found that the previous owner had removed the thermostat (indicating that he had experienced problems too). I then flushed out the system with a hose until the water was running clear. None of the above steps indicated that I had found any kind of problem that would cause the system to work incorrectly so I then took the radiator out to check for blockages. I filled the rad up to full and then removed the plug from the bottom pipe and the water only surged out about 4-6" so it was obviously blocked. I managed to get the rad flushed and checked at a local reconditioning place for £25 and checked it using the same method and it surged out about 12", indicating that it was now fine. I put everything back together and now the running temperature is lower (now about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the normal section instead of right on the boundary between normal and red and sometimes going into red).

I would still like to introduce a little more cooling capacity to the system to ensure that it runs without problems on a hot day when stuck in traffic or out on the track, so there are some further things that I have decided to do such as introducing some cowling into the nose cone area as the rad is slanted and has about 4" of gap above it which the air is naturally going to use due to reduced resistance. I am also considering doing away with the fan setup that the car came with (2 fans stuck to the front of the rad and one fan sitting right behind the front grill), so instead of having 3 fans infront of the rad I will probably look to move the rad a little closer to the nose and put a high performance pull fan in behind the rad.

Thanks for all of the earlier replies, they helped a lot in trying to get to the bottom of the issue!

Glad you have got to the bottom of the problem....especially as summer is on its way!

The mods you have planned will also help.....nosecone cowling is a good idea. I've used some black rubber sheet (about 2mm thick) because its easy to trim / bend to the exact shape you need and so you can take it tight up to the nosecone walls without hindering the removal of the nosecone.

getting rid of the fan on the nosecone grill will increase the air flow to he rad.

Even though the previous owner removed the thermostat, if I was you I would make sure you refit one. Its an important for any cooling system.

Happy days ahead!!

Guest mower man

Fill the gap at the top of rad to direct air through the core ,make sure hot air can get out from under bonnet , side louvres etc ,this should help greatly mower man

Guest Dan_Norfolk

The 2mm rubber sounds like a good idea for the cowling, I was trying to think what would be the best material. I do have 2 louvres on each side of the bonnet so hopefully there is enough venting to allow the hot air to escape.

I did buy an 82C thermostat which I plan to fit now that I have tested the system like-for-like with the original setup.