Filter Of No Filter

Guest greavesy7

personally i'd always put a filter on an engine. There are so many bits flying round. My passenger seat is often littered with road stones that have been flicked up from the road. Look at a used air filter and in the air box and you'll see how much dirt is around, and more importantly not going through your engine. Your choice though.

Whatever filter you have must affect the performance as there is an additional physical barrier that air has to pass through. As CMA said though you can tune the fuel/air mix to take this into account but you must always lose a bit.

don't think this is a problem on injection engines as if the air flow is reduced then the ecu compensates and adjusts the fuel.

I reckon my car is running a little lean as i have a much bigger open filter than original. I have heard a loss of 10bhp being said for a filter but thats prob pub talk. stick a k&N on it and you'll see an extra 50bhp for sure ;)

Guest mower man

Idoubt 50 hp increase !!! I would aways run a filter on the road on the track it less likley to pickup any large amount as its running less time but a stray stone can happen onyour drive!. if you can run 2 set ups with a modern FI system it's probably the ultimate as you can have protection but also ultimate flow but the gain would probably be very small ,so I would be tempted to run a filter mower man :acute:

:) just to confirm i was joking on the 50 horse! maybe 5-10bhp.

think you need one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-CAR-AIR-FILTER-INTAKE-SUPERCHARGER-TURBO-FAN-INCREASE-PERFORMANCE-BHP-/221038526239?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3376ec3f1f

hahahahaa why do they make these?

Bike carbs are capable of running more bhp than your engine can make ( generaly)

The large Pipercross sausage filters can run 190bhp you would rolling road with the filter on

You could fit the Pipercross air box with cold air from the front of the car

I wouldn't run without a filter

The least I would consider is gauze over the trumpets, even slightly gritty air will be grinding your rings, bores & valves at 7000 times a minute