Series 7 Needs Re-Wiring

kevin the chicken

Hi,

Does anybody know of anybody who would be able to strip the wiring out of my car and completely re-wire and how long would it take a competent sparky?

I have had the car for about a year now and although it is road legal now it spends most of its time in the garage. The wiring has been tidied up and made safer to the best of my ability but every time I use it something else packs up so I am thinking that it will never be reliable with the loom as it is.The loom is made up of all sorts of different colour wires joined together with no logical sequence. It is impossible to trace anything without pulling it all out and if it is going to be pulled out then it might as well be replaced. This week the wipers, washer and fuel pump are not working. I found two blown fuses, one of which when replaced blows as soon as the ignition is switched on so yet again I am going nowhere.

I do have a friend who would be capable of doing it but I doubt that he would have the time as I guess it would be a fairly invoved job.

I won't say money is no object but the time has come to throw some cash at it so that I can use it. Can anybody recommend anyone before I start phoning around? I am in Cambridgeshire about halfway between Peterborough and Cambridge

Regards

Kevin

if you could get it to me then i could do it i,m near mansfield ive done a few kits from scratch now a pinto 2b and a v8 westfield. Not to mention repairs on other members kit cars and my own tintops. i,m about 70miles from peterborough. it does take a good few days to do thou. If you wanted to pay for fuel, time and trailer i could tow it up here (might be able to borrow a trailer)

Thanks guys, I will keep you in mind if nothing else closer comes up. I do have a flatbed trailer so getting it there would be easy enough. I suppose ideally it would be best to get it in to a garage rather than rely on another member even though I was paying so that I could just send it in and say get on with it as I know that we all have other projects we would rather get on with. It is fairly horrendous and I wouldn't want to inflict it on somebody who was trying to help me out. If Dan has a neat and tidy approach then he may just have a seizure if he saw the state of the wiring on this one. If I do get back to you I'll send you some photo's and then ask you again in case you have changed your mind.

Regards

Kevin

Thanks guys, I will keep you in mind if nothing else closer comes up. I do have a flatbed trailer so getting it there would be easy enough. I suppose ideally it would be best to get it in to a garage rather than rely on another member even though I was paying so that I could just send it in and say get on with it as I know that we all have other projects we would rather get on with. It is fairly horrendous and I wouldn't want to inflict it on somebody who was trying to help me out. If Dan has a neat and tidy approach then he may just have a seizure if he saw the state of the wiring on this one. If I do get back to you I'll send you some photo's and then ask you again in case you have changed your mind.

Regards

Kevin

If i were to rewire your car i would cut the existing mess out and start again using new wire fuse box etc, i would do it in a week tops and would be a lot cheaper than any garage. but not free :db:

Guest arf!!

A LOCAL GARAGE IS NOT ALL WAYS THE BEST CHOICE AS MOST DON'T HAVE A CLUE ON AUTOMOTIVE WIRING YOUR BEST PUTTING YOUR TRUST IN SOMEONE WHO KNOWS KIT CARS.

Kevin, sorry I couldn't get over more last year, it turned into a rubbish time in my household! Anyway, if you want to buy a loom and get the car over to me in Cambridge ill re-wire it for you! With a new loom it should be easier than sorting out the tangle in you car!

Guest mcramsay

go on www.rapidfitlooms.co.uk. and get there modular 7 type kit car sierra loom and fit it your self. Honestly its easy peasy, all the difficult wiring is 100% done for you, all you need to do is connect the wires up to where they need to go. By far the easiest and neatest way to do it. I know because im currently rewiring my zero and its so so so much easyer this time around than it was with the old loom.

Hi,

Thanks for your offers, I would be happy for either of you to do the rewiring. Dan comes highly recommended and I know Malcolm so no worries on that front. Basically it just comes down to who can start and finish it quickest as then I can get it tuned up and use it as it is taxed and mot'd. Obviously logistically it would be easier to take it to Cambridge rather than Mansfield saving diesel money which could be better used on the car. It's down to both of you to decide when you can fit it in as I don't know your personal circumstances. I'll ask about the price later as it would be wrong to ask for quotes when basically you would be doing me a big favour. Feel free to e-mail me if you want to reply off-forum.

Once again thanks

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I think with a new loom and your old wiring (we may need some connectors/tape/clips) as well it would take no more than a couple of weekends. I have a free weekend soon 16/17th so if you can get the car down to me by then I can get a lot done and then with some evenings and a bit of luck you should have it back by the end the following weekend? PM me if you wish to go down that route. Payment will be beer money only in the form of bottled real ale!