1.4 Zetec To Type9? Or Other Options

agent_zed

Hi,

thinking about an engine change. I've got a 1.6 pinto (with a 2ltr cam) at the moment which at the most maybe possibly could be running 80bhp. with the wind in the right direction

It's also carbed so not hugely fuel economic and is 22years old with 120k on it.

So thinking of a change to a more modern engine 16v twin cam etc. Tax at the moment is £220 for over 1.55litre engines (my pinto is 40cc-ish too large for the lower band!) and about £100 less for the lower band. So i was thinking of 1.4 litre engines.

Does the 1.4 zetec fit on a type 9? i have a feeling the answer is no, but if someone could confirm that would be great.

I wouldn't mind a 1.4 k-series rover engine but the bellhousings seem expensive unless there is a cheaper way of mating them?

I'm not hugely into the power side of things so don't need a massively powerful engine. failing the 1.4 options i guess i'd just get a 1.6/1.8 blacktop as there seems to be a lot around.

any advice appreciated

thanks

thanks for the reply.

i think if i went bigger i'd go for the 1.8 zetec then but look at running the OEM injection (or indeed any engine that i would go for). surely this can be made to work can't it? i don't mind chopping and welding the plenum if needed etc. I like the look of bike carbs but seems like a RR session is needed to set them up properly.

I used to have a silvertop in an orion a long time ago, but it would probably be a black top out a mondeo (they are blacktops aren't they) i'd look at.

I would like to lose a bit of weight. zetec 1.8 is 20kg lighter than pinto according to http://westfield-world.com/enginespecs_car.html and a modern (ish) engine is probably a good idea at some point.

as an off the wall idea a 1.4 turbo could be fun :)

1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.7 zetec SE do not fit on the standard type 9 bellhousing. 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 zetec E do fit. Emissions for MoT will be the same as for the pinto, i.e. unchanged by an engine change if the car is already registered. So carbs can be used. Ignition is a problem and megajolt probably is the simplest solution to this.

New exhaust, new inlet manifold, alternator bracket, cooling pipes, engine mounts, clutch release bearing are just some of the accessories that need to be accounted for.

Probably much cheaper and easier to go to 2.0 pinto.

Nigel

if i was to stick with the 1.6 for now and build a 4-1 ex manifold and bike carbs. Can i then just re-jet the bike carb if i was to go to a bigger engine later? or would i need bigger bike carbs?

I've got the e-max pinto so same height block as the 2ltr i believe. Whilst it obviously is a bit pants it's been a good engine and starts on the button and ticks over smoothly.

with bike carbs (and therefore better inlet), 4-1 manifold, 2inch free flow exhaust, the 2ltr cam (already fitted) could i reasonably expect to get near 100bhp? i know this doesn't sound like a lot to many people on here that are running 150bhp+ but i'm happy with it not being hugely powerful, although even 100bhp equate to 130bhp/ton if my maths is correct (750kg @ 100bhp) which is far more than the 90bhp/ton that my 316ti bmw has.

think if i did go for a non pinto engine using the OEM injection i'd perhaps set it up on a frame (or chop the front off the donor) and get all the wiring working out of the car before transplant. The link to the wiring is really useful thanks. If i did go oem i'd imagine that it would be a lot of trial and error and having to slice wires together to trick the ecu into thinking the immobiliser is off and the doors are closed etc.

found this thread which is interesting reading http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=50873 and suggests making your own plenum. I've no problems welding etc so could potentially look into this.

The use of oem ecu's etc interest me a lot as i don't want to have to spend extra rolling roading the thing and spending ages setting up if uncle henry can get me moving, obviously at the cost of getting mad at a mass of wires!

hmm also just thinking about lift pump and swirl pots as my car has neither, easily added but extra work i guess. presume bike carbs need neither on a pinto, think i read it just needs a regulator to reduce the pressure of the mechanical pinto pump?

thanks all