Scrapping The Donor

WallerZ

So I'm at that point where I need to shift my donor body shell. What do I need to keep for the IVA to ensure I can prove that the parts from the donor came from that car to gain an age related plate?

Also, I assume I will need to get a certificate of destruction from an Authorised Treatment Facility? Do they pick the car up for free or is there a collection fee at all?

Cheers,

Zach

the only thing I will say is take the donor vehicle to the scrap yard yourself and weigh it in you will get money for it which all helps in the end

Andy

Guest peter2b2002

I kept my v5 and sold the shell to a chap who races sierras and needed a spare shell got more from him than a scrapy, that was a few years ago doner cost me £285 with tax + mot for 6 months, sold the shell for £200

peter2b

I kept my V5 and SORNed the sierra every year until the kit was registered.

When the kit was registered the V5 went off and scrapped the donor meaning I didn't have to SORN it any more.

Ozz

Hi Zach,

I was lucky and sold my MX5 shell to a gut who races them (he used it as a spare). Best bet is to take the shell to a scrappy. But keep hold of the V5 documentation as you will need this to prove age of donor when registering the car.

You won't get much for the shell though especially if you managed to sell off all the panels as I did...

Guest richkart5

Saloon stock car boys always looking for spare shells might be worth ebaying it. A bare shell at scrap yard will only make around £50 at the moment. Hope this is of some help

Guest chris brown

One way is to cut it up into smaller manageable bits and get rid of it as just scrap steel as some if not all scrappys tend to be very wary of accepting shells especially with no documents.