Fuel Pump Wiring / Bike Carbs

Guest Kamran

Guest Kamran

Hi can any one help me please. It a 2.0 litre pinto with a pipercam, new bike carbs (kawasaki), new burton recon. Bosch dizzy, facet red top fuel pump, regulator, filter and a vicky green loom. It will not start turns over but wont fire, on turning the key to position 2 the fuel pump comes on, at position 3 the fuel pump turns off and starter turns engine freely. Timing is all set to marks engine and dizzy. I checked for sparks, i have them. Checked plugs. Also not sure if the bike carbs need any extra cables/connections/ controller. What am i missing? i have one push bike cable coming off carbs at one side at the top and one little (10cm) cable with some turning knob thing at one end. Also two air vents which vent to air. Thanks for any help in advance

There is a choke slide on bike carbs

You often need to give it some choke on startup

More worrying is the fact the pump stops when you crank the engine

Usually the pump starts ticking loudly until the system is primed then the ticking reduces, it should be pumping as the starter turns or your fuel flow has stopped

That said if there is fuel in the carb float chambers then it should at least kick

Edited by Snapperpaul

Check your ignition switch wiring.

Think you have your ignition being feed from from the Auxiliary of your ignition switch, which cuts out on cranking.

12v to switch is brown, ignition from switch is white, you may have this connected to the yellow of the ignition switch.

If you have it cranking you are correct with the red/white (or white/red in some looms) to one of the black/tracer (cant remember colour of tracer), you need to move the white wire to the other black/tracer.

If the wiring isn't wrong, I'm with Snapperpaul.

Guest Kamran

Hi lads thanks for replies, i didn't know about the choke, plus changed ignition wiring so now fuel pump stays on in pos 3, but then lost sparks but now looped 2 wires and now have sparks. But now battery is flat so just waiting

Guest svsdino

Just a thought, have you set the fuel pump to 2.5/3 psi? Bike carbs won't put up with standard pressure. The TPS plug socket is only used on ecu powered ignition systems.

Yup, probably its the choke. There`s no way mine would start without it.I only have to have it open for 30 seconds or so then

I can take it off. Mine never starts with throttle either, but all set ups have their own personalities.

Andi

Guest Kamran

Thanks lads, regulator is on 3 psi. The battery charged and i tried turning over a few times but still wont fire up. So then checked timing belt, timing was all-out. When i set the timing months ago the top end was really hard to turn but the bottem end was nice and free, is this normal. I have been turning the engine over on the starter a fair few times what are the chances of the valves surviving. Also is there any way to check without spliting the head.

Pintos don't bend valves on a standard engine

Recheck cam timing

Recheck ignition timing

Check for fuel flow at carbs (take pipe off at carb, turn ignition on briefly)

Check spark at plug

Check plugs after cranking for wet fuel

Compression test

It's got to be something simple

Guest Kamran

Hi thanks, did the whole list and at first no luck. Then took cam cover off only to find the vernier cam pulley was not on correct putting tdc mark way out. Now all timing is bang on but still will not fire. I put fuel directly into carbs and it fired up perfect. But it wont fire up normally the plugs are bone dry and fuel is coming to the carbs, as it went everywear when i checked, thinking it must be bike carbs (kawasaki 750's) anyone know how to set them up for the first time or what to do? Thanks

If you use carb cleaners Make sure all your rubber bits including diaphragms do not come into contact with the cleaner..... One other thing.... its a common mistake to have the fuel pipe going into the wrong hole

Guest Kamran

Thanks lads, will do the clean on sunday as im at work today and saturday. Can i use a air line and carb cleaner or just stick to one? Thanks in advance as wont be back till late

• 3 years later...
Guest Barry Knowles

have you checked needles right size. you might need rolling road. if new curbs have just been fitted. mine went from 1.6 to 2. and works fine