Why A Robin Hood?

Guest David Thomas

Guest David Thomas

Hi everyone,

Ok so am fairly new to this kit car thing, what it is is me and my wife have just bought a new house with a garage which has enabled me to finally have my dream...... At first it was going to be a drift car then an old collectable ford which has now led me to the kit car path.

So basically I want something which is going to be fun to drive something to tinker with and most of all have fun in. But why a Robin Hood out of the vast amount of others?

I have now decided that a Robin Hood style kit car is what I want. (I showed my eldest son on he said WoW its a real race car, his smile was so big it made my mind there and then, also because I can give it some abuse and it won't cause damage, compared to an old cossie)

Basically I want to know if I should buy a rh or something else! I am not too experienced with the old scanners but I am willing to learn fast and I want something to devote my spare time too.

Should I buy a built and registered one? (I hate the Q plate)

Should I buy a part built one?

Or a rh in a starter kit?

Why carbs and not rule injection? Can I run a carb and turbo?

What are the pros and the cons?

My concern is that I don't know anything about the car. I don't like the look of the front wings I like the ones that fit over the wheels and nothing else not the long swooping ones, my vision is crisp sharp and mean,

I like mat black with gloss black highlights, black wheels. I also don't like the head lamps, has anyone done a projector style light system on theirs?

And if I got one would or should I buy a siera for a parts car? Because if I should I will get one sharpish so I can strip all the parts I need too and get them in the garage out the way first.

Now like I said I am just looking for info am not set on a rh and by no means am I ready to buy one could be 6 months to 3 years before I do but when I do I want to know as much as possible.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MarkB

Firstly welcome to RHOCAR David, there are dozens of different 7 style kits around, where are you based? the Newark kit car show is in june where you would be able see to just about every type of kit car available, if you are able to pop along come over to the RHOCAR stand and im sure one us will drag you round the show to point out all the different cars available to you.

Guest Rallyreason

I will second Mark B's advice.

I also have a history with old and performance Fords. My advice is to speak to people that own the vehicle's and maybe get a passenger ride. They are totally different to any other vehicle i have driven or owned and i have had more than my far share.

What i have found out in a very short time of ownership is not 2 kits are the same and it is all down to personal preferences.

All said the kit car scene is very alive and there is a place and help for every personality.

Good luck with the search.

Go to your area meetings, you will get lots of help. Often for tea and hob knobs people will turn up to members homes.

We also have members with many other makes and are open to all makes and models

Guest David Thomas

I'm in scunthorpe north Lincolnshire, thank you for your replies.

I have just been reAding some posts and to be fair I think I will probably try to get a road legal car, the 2b is what I am after nothing else really catches me as much.

I think I would try to get one which has been part stripped with the intention of changing the engine or something, or one that's fully set up.

The iva test sounds like a bit hit and miss.

What's the card fuel injector difference? And will a bike engine fit in?

As you can tell I'm thinking things at 1000000 miles an hour lol.

But saying that if a cheap started kit came up from 500-900 I would take it just for the experience of the build.

If I was to spend a few thousand when I am ready would you say buying from someone on here would be better?

The best thing I think about this type of car is the family you gain from it, and days out which me and my wife would love.

Guest MarkB

I'm in scunthorpe north Lincolnshire, thank you for your replies.

I have just been reAding some posts and to be fair I think I will probably try to get a road legal car, the 2b is what I am after nothing else really catches me as much.

I think I would try to get one which has been part stripped with the intention of changing the engine or something, or one that's fully set up.

The iva test sounds like a bit hit and miss.

What's the card fuel injector difference? And will a bike engine fit in?

As you can tell I'm thinking things at 1000000 miles an hour lol.

But saying that if a cheap started kit came up from 500-900 I would take it just for the experience of the build.

If I was to spend a few thousand when I am ready would you say buying from someone on here would be better?

The best thing I think about this type of car is the family you gain from it, and days out which me and my wife would love.

To be honest it dosent matter where you get a 2b from, theres a damn good chance someone on here will know the car, David, RHOCAR is one big family, the social side is the best part of the club for me, my wife and 2 young boys attend all the shows and meets that we can.

David the best thing you could do with where you live is to come to Newark show on the 15th june an have a chat with club members . if you pop on to the rhocar stand for a cuppa and a chat you will learn so much. buy in haste repent at leisure you never know you may even find something at the show

Guest David Thomas

At the min am not driving until the docs give me the all ok so will miss that show. And I don't think I will buy just yet like I said 6 months plus am looking at. But if a cheap started kit comes around I might go on it but possibly not.

I have been looking at some pics and I have decided because of the different looks that can be gained I am going to be a 2b ford guy.

What would be a great base car for a ford kit to go off? Sierra? I only have use of one hand at the min and am itching to be doing something so I could start looking for one.

Thanks

Guest chris brown

I would recommend getting a registered car regardless of model and check the logbook before handing over any cash as there are cars running around which are still registered as the donor or some other kit often a Dutton.

The 2B isn't an ideal car to fit a bike engine in as it is rather heavy. But does go well with a Zetec or Vauxhall lump fitted and is good fun even with the Pinto.

Guest David Thomas

That was one thought of mine , its heavy due to the frame and donor car, so a car with a false log book hasn't been done correctly?. Loads I have seen which say cheaper insurance.... Good job I joined.

What's the best sierra to buy? Well engine? 1.8 16v 2.0 efi? I fancy playing around a bit before making my mind up and tinkering with a shed would do me until I have full use of my hand back.

Would a turbo go straight onto a pinto without upgrading the internals?

I want to put a turbo on anything I build or buy.

Guest shaggy

zetec fits well, many have done this conversion, like myself, not cheap though, but good for 180 horses.If you want turbo, you could go vxr turbo - good for well over 300 horses. By this time though it gets a bit undrivable, i.e. you can if you want lose tread on your tyres very quickly when doing 70mph.

Guest David Thomas

Yeah I understand that but not looking for 300 that's just crazy and like you said undrivable, its too dangerous in a car like that.

I was thinking an old lump but turbo. I think I will go with a sierra efi turbo lump. But not too harsh just a nice kick.

Whats the difference between carbs and fuel injection?