Dash Board

Guest oshiney2

Guest oshiney2

hi guys can anyone help me please need some advice before i order carbon wrap i am in the middle of making a new dash board for my 2b out of marine ply i plan to cover it with carbon fibre wrap do you think it would stick ok or do you think i would have to treat the ply with something first has anyone out there did this before ?

would like some feed back if you have many thanks

I had issues sticking it to mdf even when sealed. Worth trying a small section first incase you have the same problem.

May need a good few coats of pva.the centre section of my dash that is wrapped I ended up covering it in 2mm thick vinyl sheet.

PVA glue, mix it with water 10:1 (water:PVA) and put a couple of coats on the wood. When dry, lightly sand with a 400 grit and the carbon wrap will stick nicely. My gauge pod was plywood and I just used some varnish I had lying around, carbon wrap still stuck to that after 2 years!

Slightly different use, but when I lined my boot with 9mm ply, I coated each section in fibre glass resin, (did not use the glass sheet, just the resin).

Probably overkill, but nice and strong though and plenty waterproof.

Might need a slight sand over though to provide a key for the carbon wrap adhesive.

Just another option

How thick is the wrap as if it is thin you could get the grain showing through over time. So as above the smoother the better.

PVA is just wood glue generally speaking. eg http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-weather-resistant-pva-wood-glue-1ltr/59855. Surprisingly useful stuff, builders use it for sealing walls before plaster.

Fibreglass resin is just another type of glue ( polyester/expoxy resin) but is a 2 part glue. Bit more fiddly perhaps.

hth