Serious,oap Convicted

Guest rizla

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TerryBarry

Yes - it's all true

The magistrate made the ban effective immediately - so the poor guy doesn't even get the chance to appeal - that's real justice for you.

This happened a couple of miles from me ( closer for Mat ) - they love hiding in a layby and boosting the funds.

Here's a link to the same story - even has a picture of the "criminal" SHStar

Guest rizla

terry,i could not believe this,i to searched for the star link to make sure it was not a wind up

i thought it was realy good of the petrol head group to offer to pay this guys fine,i know if i ever met him id buy him more than 1 pint of beer,and for me to offer to do that is rare :wub:

Guest plt63

What is so sickening about this case, is the way the magistrate 'appears' to have handed out a driving ban for a non motoring offence.

Does this mean that the law can be changed at a whim? I didnt think that is the way it is supposed to work! :o :o

In my humble opinion...

and obviously if this case is what it appears to be, not just 'repackaged' to sell newspapers :wacko:....

the following things should happen.....

1 - The police office should be sacked, and pension rights revoked. What creditability will they have now?

2 - The CPS bod who authorised the case to go ahead should be removed.

3 - The magistrate should be made an example of, sack him too, they should know the rules!

4 - Clerk of Court who authorised this should be reprimanded severly, not just a slapped wrist.

5 - The guy (victim) should get compensation. That will teach them to try it again!

6 - All of the above should be covered in the national tabloid press.

That will stop these little hitlers, from trying to get away with this type of thing.

This bloody annoys me, and probably any other decent law abiding citizen!

Punishment should match the crime, in this case it appears not too!

This country is going down hill rapidly.....

I am going for a lie down in a dark room, i am all dizzy now!!!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

Guest brummy-ade

magistrates are all idiots I should know they like to make examples of certain people they have there heads so far up their arses its unreal!!!!

I deal with stealing drug taking bag heads who dont answer bail take them to court and they give them bloody BAIL again oh well ive had enough and told em to stick there job up there arse as the magistrste system IS NOT working AS people dont pay there fines

Guest rhetorical-oracle
What is so sickening about this case, is the way the magistrate 'appears' to have handed out a driving ban for a non motoring offence.

Does this mean that the law can be changed at a whim? I didnt think that is the way it is supposed to work!

Apparently so!

From 1st Jan 2004 and amendment under Section 146 (1) of the Powers of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000,courts can disqualify a driver for such period as it thinks fit. The powers were introduced in order to be used against people who abandon cars, drive without insurance, kerb-crawlers etc, but bascially give the courts the right to use a driving ban as a punishment for any crime.

It's amazing what you can find out on the internet, when you're stuck at work and bored!

Guest plt63
From 1st Jan 2004 and amendment under Section 146 (1) of the Powers of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000,courts can disqualify a driver for such period as it thinks fit. The powers were introduced in order to be used against people who abandon cars, drive without insurance, kerb-crawlers etc, but bascially give the courts the right to use a driving ban as a punishment for any crime.

Does the term Criminal Court include magistrates courts as well??

Nice piece of info, must remember not to be so noisy in the garden. I might end up with a driving ban for a breach of the peace if my neighbour complains!

The law is an ar5e, and totally out of step with reality!!!!!! :gdit: :gdit: :gdit:

Guest lopsylu

Riz,

when i read this i could not believe the police and courts were this bad

mate, are you mad?!?!? You're an Essex lad right? The Essex traffice police are, bar none, the worst I have ever come across. I cant believe you have lived in Essex all the years you have and not seen just as bad!!!!

Or maybe it was just my fault for drving home from the Circus Tavern at 3am every Saturday morning!

Graeme.

Guest The Rev

:( Sadly I spent many years investigating road traffic collisions and I have no doubt that inappropriate speed is a major causal factor.

I never really enjoyed taking painstakingly accurate measurements of someone's arm and how far it landed away from their body and how far that was from their vehicle to enable me to reconstruct the impact speeds. Nor did I enjoy the other side of the task which was knocking on the door of some house knowing that the message I was to deliver would bring total devastation to the remains of a family.

I therefore cannot sit looking through this "thread" and have folk go on about speeding being a "non crime" as opposed to rape and murder. In my small county, inthe early 80's we used to "lose" about 2 folk a year through murder and 50 through road "accidents." Things are better now with vehicles, and roads better but the driver is still the problem. I think last year we "lost" 20 on the roads and 3 through murders. If someone in your family is going to be injured or killed it will most likely be vehicle related not a shooting... even if you live in England.

However, I still drive a Hood, drive a motorcycle which makes my hood seem like a snail. There is a time a nd aplace to realise the potential of driver and machine. remember my first comment... inappropriate speed, not speeding.

Nevertheless I too believe we are being driven down the path of income generation and civilianisation of Camera Enforcement Units. At least the traffic cops used to have some flexability and some were human (I always tried to be).

The case you refer to is sad and is rather a sad reflection on the state of the country and its political masters (not meant as a statement for or against any particular party). In the current news we are commemorating the ultimate sacrifice of so many (D-Day Landings) to give us our freedom. What would these folk think of the way the country has turned out? I am so glad there is a different legal system north of the border.

Anyway, you will now have guessed why my nickname has been The Rev... nothing to do with me being a "petrol head" but more a case that I would rather give folk a sermon and have them mend their ways, than book them.

On the lighter side with my 2b getting around 18 mpg the petrol prices will certainly have me driving around at a sedate pace... believe that if you wish. ;)

R.

I don't think the argument here is about the speeding, more about the fact that he got a driving ban for a non driving offense. Out of curiosity I wonder what the police would of done if there was NO speed trap there, but he did that to slow down drivers?

On a second note, my local paper (The Star) has him on front page this morning, but what has annoyed me is that a SECOND person has written into complain that they got TWO speeding fines within 30mins on the same stretch of road (37 in a 30) and one bloke was dropping his kid off at swimming practice at 8:30am.... WELL DON'T SPEED THEN IS ALL I CAN SAY! I'm no saint but ESPECIALLY when there is schools or places where kids hang out, I'm double aware and stick to the speed limit.

Guest The Rev

Mat I am not at odds with your overview of this thread and I agree that there seems to be some quirk of the legislation and the way it has been applied. My comments were only to redress some of the earlier comments.

As far as I can ascertain there is still a margin for "error" with the speeding cut off before a ticket is sent, but this margin is barely 10% in the 30's by schools etc. Your advice is sound... do not exceed the limit in the built up area, especially near schools, hospitals and old folk's homes. Outwith the BUA there is a more sensible margin allowed (varies from county to county so beware), but if you sit at +100mph for 30 minutes or so look out... sorry I forgot the majority of members do not stay in an area where you could actually get a clear enough road for this!

Anyway none of us are "saints" but it is far better to be a few minutes late in this world than a few years early in the next. However, lets be sensible and still enjoy life.

In conclusion I am rather amazed at this case and totally agree with those who are similarly flabergasted. What is our country coming to? :wacko:

R.

Guest kevin

Its getting worse. I drive to work between Coventry and Birmingham on country

B roads. This year 40 MPH signs have been put up on sections of these roads.

Guess what, now it is common to find police speed traps on these roads.

These roads were safe at 60MPH and in ten years I have not heard of or seen evidence of a crash on them.

Kevin