Superspec Fuse Box

alanrichey

Thanks Dan. But I can confirm that ALL the lights work with ignition off, as does the radiator cooling fan and the horn. As I understood it the previous owner of my Superspec simply followed the wiring loom instructions, just plugging in the connectors, unfortunately not labelling anything, and did not make any changes to the original design.

There are 6 relays on the panel, all unlabelled except 2 of them that are labelled 'L' & 'R' (Indicators maybe?). I guess I will have to use trial and error to figure out which is which and how they are wired up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Still struggling with this. I naively thought that if I pulled each fuse/relay in turn and then tested all the systems to see what didn't work then I would be able to figure it out. Fat chance :wub:

Here is the electrical panel in the passenger foot well:

Panel.jpg

You can see the Main bank of 3 relays, 2 seperate replays on the left marked 'L' & 'R', the 'Kill' switch, a bank of 6 in-line fuses and just off the right of the picture a bank of 4 more fuses.

Unfortunatly what I found makes very little sense to me. For example:

1. I pulled the 2 relays marked 'L' & 'R' and found that everytihng I could think of still worked (All of the lights, the Demister (both sides), the Indicators/Hazards, the Horn, the Cooling Fan, the Wipers/Washers, and the Fuel Pump). I didn't try starting the engine so maybe the 'L' stands for Lamda Sensor ? I suppose the other might be the ECU ? Can anyone think of what I may have missed ?

2. The other 3 relays appear to be Demist, Horn and Fuel Pump

3. The 'official' 4-way fuse box gave me:

1. Horn/Headlights

2. Instrument Panel

3. ?????? (Again everything appeared to work)

4. Fog Lights

3. The 6 inline fuses were also very confusing:

1. The windscreen wipers (But the Fuel Pump didn't work either)

2. The Demisters

3. Fuel Pump

4. Fuel Pump

5. ???? Everything appeared to work.

6. Reversing Lights and Demisters

So 3 of them appear to relate to the Fuel Pump ? Is there something common here ?

So I could not find any fuse for the indicators/hazards and no sign of a relay for the Headlights.:

There must be another set of fuses/relays somewhere but I cannot find them. Although I admit I haven't checked around the steering colum.

Not expecting miracles here but can anyone see any sort of logic with these findings ?

Al

Hi,

Haven't been following this topic recently, so a few comments.

Do you have a copy of the original wiring diagram? IIRC RH gave us three relays - cannot remember what for - but I can look on the diagram. I guess that's what the three relays in the right of the picture are.

As for everything else, seems like you might have to disconnect one item at a time (relay, fuse) and see what doesn't work, and make a note for future reference - a bit of a tedious job.

Sorry, not very helpful.

-steve

I do have a copy of the original wiring diagram and you say, it tells us there are 3 relays (ECU/Lamda/Fuel Pump). And they are not the 3 relays in the picture, those turn out to be for the Demisters, the Fog Lights and the Horn.

I have tried pulling everything and it hasn't really helped. I still have the following outstanding problems:

1. I cannot find the 3 relays (ECU/Lamda/Fuel) mentioned on the Wiring diagram. The build Video seems to indicate they are mounted grouped together in the engine bay on the firewall but I cannot see anything remotely like relays there.

2. I cannot find what the 2 relays on the left (marked 'L' & 'R') are for. They are definately not the headlights, but removing either of them stops the Fuel Pump.. Maybe they are 2 of the 3 missing relays ?

3. I cannot find the headlamp replays anywhere although they must exist surely ? It may be they are deep inside the scuttle and inaccesible without removing the dashboard ?

4. I cannot find a Cooling fan relay although surely there should be one ?

5. I have figured out the Main 4 fuses are:(1) Horn/Headlights (2) Instrument Panel (3) Demisters (4) Fog Lights. And one of the 6 in-line fuses is for the Reversing Lights, but the others are a complete mystery. All 5 of them stop the Fuel Pump (but that could be an ECU fuse as well) but all the accessories continue to work.

6. I cannot find any fuse for the indicators/hazards or the wipers/washers ?

So working through slowly, but it is very frustrating.