Superspec Fuse Box

alanrichey

Guest chris brown

Like most hoods I suspect there will be no two the same, do you know the original builder? It may be worth asking him. Otherwise I suspect you will have to get your meter out and start tracing it out.

Hi Alan,

I've checked on the copy of the original wiring diagram supplied with the SuperSpec and the fuse box shown only has 4 fuses. Surprisingly enough there is not a list of what the fuses are or their ratings!!! It does state though that there are additional 'in line' fuses supplied to go into the loom as required!

It would appear that the previous owner, if they built the car, did what some other builders did and binned the supplied fuse 'arrangements' and went for a single fuse box design.

As Chris says, no cars 2 are built the same, so it may be a case of tracing back. Or you could pull the fuse and see what has stopped working, but looking at the ratings a start could be wipers, fuel pump, headlights (if still sealed beams), indicators, fog & reversing light - just a guess though.

Hope this helps

Al

Sorry, should have mentioned I have the same wiring loom diagram and as you say it doesn't help. Just shows you what to plug in, and not a wiring diagram by any means. In fact now I look closer at the bulkhead I see there is the 'official' 4-fuse box and a seperate 6 in-line fuse box. So I actually have 10 fuses.

The main reason I need to figure this out is that the horn has stopped working and I assume that has a fuse in the circuit somewhere (I tried swapping the relay and that didn't help). I thought I might as well figure out the others while I was at it.

I did start pulling the fuses to check for continuity, but when I pulled the first one the end of the fusebox fell apart (it seems very fragile). I managed to press it back together but it decided it was safer not to continue.

I think I will just have to run some continuity tests to try and figure it out. Worse case scenario will be to build a new horn wiring circuit in parallel :-)

It was working fine until I fiddled about with the fuse box, so I am assuming the problem lies there. In fact I have just noticed the headlights aren't working either. Think it is time to put a proper heavy-duty fuse box in.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to bullfist. First fuse I pulled from the 'official' 4 x fusebox was blown. Replaced and I now have a horn and headlights. Although I also learned not to change a fuse on a 'live' circuit, first attempt resulted in a flash and another blown fuse. Taking off the battery -ve terminal and then putting the fuse in did the trick. I LOVE the way this is such a learning experience :) Now bought a heavy-duty 10-way fusebox off E-Bay and will gradually switch to that.

You never stop learning or tinkering, part of the fun.

Especially with the safety net of the forum and members, there is always someone who has experienced the same problem, well worth the £15

Don't forget to jot down a crib sheet when you wire in the new fuse box, simple but easy to forget.

• 1 month later...
My superspec horn and lights were on the same fuse. When the steering wheel snagged the wire to the horn and shorted it, the headlamps went out IIRC, the (horn/headlamp) fuse is one of the four main fuses.-steve

Can anyone think of a logical reason for this ?. To my simple mind the fuses for the headlight and the horn should be on the high-power side of the individual relays (Pins 87/30) and completely seperate. Having said that, they both operate with the ignition off, so maybe they have a common 12V feed to the switching sides of the relay (Pins 85/86) that has another fuse in circuit ? If so what about all the other lights that still work with the ignition off and the fuse blown ?

Or do we have 2 seperate 12V non-igntion switched supplies, one to provide power to the relays and one other one ?

hazards and side lights should be the only circuits that are live with ignition off the horn and headlights should also be seperate, you should have relays for dipped, main, fan, and poss horn. Before you start do your self a massive favour and buy one of these http://www.justoffba...CFafMtAodpAMA7w or something similar, it makes working on car electrics a lot easier. For any parts you require i would buy them from these http://www.vehicle-w...me/homepage.php 10% discount for members