Plenum Problems Now ...

sj-bradley

Hi,

Thanks for the loan of the other coil pack. The engine still seemed to be running funny although all exhaust headers now pass the water drop test (I.e - HOT) after just around 20-30 seconds of running.

It "may" be one of the problems ... But I couldn't tell for sure because ...

It did not seem to return to idle very quickly, so I sprayed some surface cleaner around the inlet. This produced a change in idle when I sprayed it around the No.1 tube so it looks like the plenum has finally cracked.

I was advised that this might happen by GBS, so I hope I can do a straight swap for their Mark 2 version with extra strengthening.

Ho Hum, Kit cars ... :)

Simon.

I hope that is all it really is. I will ring GBS on Monday and see if I can get a replacement in time for Holowell.

The thing is, you can't see the crack on that tube (well, not yet) but the spray of surface cleaner made the engine note change.

Oh well, another thing to fix ...

Simon.

Guest mower man

Si if you are stuck for time to pick stuff up from Gbs ,get intouch they are only 10/15 away I can pickit up and come over to you no probs , this goes to other members too so long as you are not in John 'o Groats mower man :clapping: :crazy:

Update:

I have taken the plenum off this morning and there is a definite crack around the No.1 tube. Almost 1/3 the way round it (and of course on the bottom half which you can't see when on the car :) )

So, that needs fixing first and I will be ringing GBS in the morning to see if they have one. That might fix the other issue of the back firing / missing hopefully.

Simon.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I have now given the kit an oil change and replaced the plenum with a replacement from GBS (a straight free swap - Thanks GBS :) )

The car now runs smoothly again with none of that "misfire" symptoms now. So I just need a fine day to give it a final clean and road test to see if anything has improved (or not)

Thanks for the loan of the coil pack for testing etc.

So if anyone has these symptoms and an early version of the GBS plenum (one without extra bracing struts) and is nearing 3000 miles, check out by spraying something onto the inner edge of the plenum where the trumpets join the flat plate.

Thanks,

Simon.

• Like 1