Over Heating Or Not!

Guest Darren2010

Guest Darren2010

My car will sit all day at idle with the fan on at just over half on the temp gauge.

But as soon as I drive anywhere the gauge goes up to just under Red, more so at speed 60 - 70

It's a 2 litre pinto with an old cortina rad in it. I've done a hundred or so miles with this predicament. Haven't lost any water or actually caused any steam to blow out.

I was going to come to the meet tomorrow in her, but am a little worried!!

Any suggestions?

Dodgy gauge?

Would it be better not to risk it I'm thinking.

Is the fan blowing the correct way??

Is the engine earthed correctly.mine wasnt and the gauge read all over..

Engine temp and gauge temp can be vastly different due to mismatched equipment.

Mine had cortina rad and 10 inch fan and was fine.but now I started modding ive changed to an alloy rad

Guest Darren2010

I've looked at everything you suggest and it all appears to be in order. That's why I'm looking at a new fan. Because mine is fastened to the front of the rad which may be blocking some air flow. The rad is not the best to be honest.

And I've only noticed this since I put the rebuilt engine back in!

I just don't want to risk blowing it up because it's quite a journey to the meet for me.

never tried one myself but you could try a laser thermometer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Non-Contact-Infrared-Laser-Point-IR-Digital-Thermometer-Temperature-50-to-/121184350570?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item1c3726716a

if you take a reading before and after and see if it is actually heating up or if its just the gauge.

The gauge on mine seems to be all over the place at times but has never yet lost any water (thats the kiss of death for tomorrow!). I think the fans are more efficient if they pull through the radiator as they allow more air to hit the radiator. Are the hoses hard when fan is on at tickover? Just under red is not overheating if the gauge is accurate. If you have filled it up recently are you sure that there is no air trapped in the system. It was a devil of a job to get all the air out of my Redtop when I refilled it. No doubt somebody will have some more ideas later on, don't give up yet!

Kevin

Guest Darren2010

I'm going to come down and see how it goes. There's always AA. Just had my head in the nose and the way it's positioned won't be helping I'm sure. Something else for the list.