Repositioning Fuel Filler Cap

alanrichey

I'm looking to reposition the Fuel Filler Cap on my Superspec from it's default position on the back. Apart from having a very convoluted flexible hose, making it a VERY slow filler, I find it leaks petrol a bit during hard left turns when the fuel swills into it.

Are there any legal/MOT requirements I have to adhere to ? For example, can I mount the cap directly on the fuel tank (and open boot cover to fill) or do I have to have some of filler neck of a minimum length ? An does the filler cap have to be on the outside of the car ?

And I note the MOT regulations specifiy it must be a locking cap, but my Volvo doesn't have a locking cap and passes the MOT ? If I did have it inside the boot would a locking boot cover count ?

And I note the MOT regulations specifiy it must be a locking cap, but my Volvo doesn't have a locking cap and passes the MOT ? If I did have it inside the boot would a locking boot cover count ?

The MOT only checks for a cap and that it seals correctly, we have no interest wether it locks or not..... bit of a hot topic with vosa at the moment with capless fuel filler necks springing up on many manufacturers cars. Where the cap is located is not an mot matter, but, for your own safety if you are going to have the filler in the boot, make sure there is plenty of ventilation and the cap seals correctly

The MOT only checks for a cap and that it seals correctly, we have no interest wether it locks or not..... bit of a hot topic with vosa at the moment with capless fuel filler necks springing up on many manufacturers cars. Where the cap is located is not an mot matter, but, for your own safety if you are going to have the filler in the boot, make sure there is plenty of ventilation and the cap seals correctly

Thanks for that, good information.

What do you mean by "capless" fuel fillers? How does that seal / work then ?

Simon.

unfortunately Fords design is proving to be a bit nip and tuck, if you try to fill it using say a petrol can.. it cant reach the seal flap and ends up pouring all over the floor instead

I have lost the reference but did read that the fuel filler had to be on the external body of the car so that any fuel spilt while filling would leave that spillage external to the car. How often do you get drips when you pick a pump out of its 'holster'? Usually? Seems like a sensible idea to me. Vent should also be external.

Nigel

I have lost the reference but did read that the fuel filler had to be on the external body of the car so that any fuel spilt while filling would leave that spillage external to the car. How often do you get drips when you pick a pump out of its 'holster'? Usually? Seems like a sensible idea to me. Vent should also be external.

Nigel

Possibly for IVA but not for MOT

Nigel

Wouldn't be a problem for me, no floor under the fuel tank so in some ways it is already external :)

Guest mower man

The slow fill bit is a long and well known prob I 98 % cured my s7 be fitting extra breathers :crazy: to the top face of the tank ,it was a little involved but made a lot of difference mower man

Thanks, hadn't reaiised it was so wide-spread. Maybe someone can confirm the logic of the fuel system to me so I know how to rebuild it. Obviously I have the standard (2") concertina tube going from the tank to the filler cap. Then there is a separate, 1/2" tube that goes from another outlet near the tank input up to a side feed to the neck of the filler cap. Then there is yet another very small, short, tube right in the middle of the tank which is simply open to the air. I was working on the principle that the small open-air tube was a general vent for day-to-day use and the 1/2" tube was to release air during filling ? Am I right ?

Guest mower man

I added 2 more breathers one in the centre and one at the n/s it means drilling the tank and fitting bulk head fittings to attach hoses ,if the tank is baffled the centre one is awkward I fitted a separate plate bonded and rivited to the tank ,the n/s one was fiddled in via the tank sender hole , hoses run in a loop and exit thro the rear panel under the spare wheel . I think the centre one you have seen is the diff breather . The tank breathers should be well above tank top level .This hope fully explains why I said it was a little involved mower man :crazy: :acute: