What Size Exhaust?

kevin the chicken

Hi,

As one of this years visual/mechanical improvements I have decided to replace the exhaust on my S7.

The one currently fitted has got very noisy in just a few miles that I have put on it and is not a repackable type as there is no way to get it apart without butchering it. Also apart from that the way it has been attached to the rest of the system bugs me as it looks like a crock of s**t, with massive rusty clamps and an outlandish length of ugly flexy pipe. So its going!

I am unable to decide with what it should be replaced with size wise. The one currently fitted is about four inches across and looks a bit small in relation to the car, should I go bigger?

Would a larger box be any be more efficent given that the size of the manifold pipe is ultimately going to restrict the flow to the silencer or is bigger better?

The engine is a C20XE running a couple of webers but not interfered with apart from that. I may put bigger chokes in the carbs in search of a bit more poke but I'm not planning on installing a turbo or nitrous!

I'd be interested to hear what you think

Regards

Kevin

Guest motad_uk

volume is very important as far as the silencer goes- we use reflective baffling in extreme cases- absorbtive baffles are fine for most applications but not all.

Edited by motad_uk

Motad do you make car exhausts or just bike ones? I was going to ask if anybody had any recommended manufacturers so this could be your chance to blow your own trumpet!

PETER I WANT LESS NOISE NOT MORE- did you hear that? I have made my daughter wear ear defenders as I dont want her hearing to be like yours and mine.

I've got next week off work and I can feel some serious tinkering coming on, my wife approves too as it is going to make the car a bit more passenger friendly (exhaust is on the nearside)

Regards

Kevin