Sliding Pillar Camber & Spring Rates

Guest charliemi16

Guest charliemi16

Evening all,

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding sliding pillars, and have a couple of questions:

1. When installing the assembly, roughly where do you set the top of the chrome shaft in the slot? I'll do a proper camber set up when the car is complete, but would like to get it pretty close on installation. My top and bottom plates (where the shaft attaches) aren't parallel, so the further outboard the shaft sits, the more of an angle there is for the spacer to take up, if that makes sense. I'm going to attempt to make a tapered spacer to give the bearing the best possible chance of survival, hence the positioning question.

2. What's the general consensus regarding the best spring rates to run? From what I've seen, 260lb seems to be the way to go. Does everyone concur with that? Also, where do you get springs from?

Thanks

Charlie

Guest charliemi16

Thanks Tazzzzman,

Very useful sketches, appreciate it.

I'm still interested to hear experiences/opinions on spring rates and lengths please. Tazzzzman, did I read that you used the standard springs? What rate are the standard ones, I've read 80 & 180 lb's.

Finally, is it worth splashing out on some better dampers, and if so, what do people recommend?

Thanks

Charlie

The dampers are standard (classic) mini. You can probably get uprated ones, but I was happy with good quality standard ones.

The only way to adjust the camber is to lock the top of the shaft somewhere in the slot with a plate with 3 holes,

one for the top of the shaft & two to take small bolts into the mounting plate.

As a good start fit the hub & disk & set it vertical using a spirit level (assuming the car is on a level surface)

Cant help on springs, I used the standard ones for 2 years, then fitted wishbones.

Guest charliemi16

Thanks for the replies all.

Si, I'm a little confused; I've just been looking through the forum, and in a separate post you state that you replaced your springs with 250lb, 8 inch items. Can you confirm what you've used please?

Anyone else with any recommendations on springs?

Cheers

Charlie

Guest evildave

I have a thread on here for my pillar rebuild, uncompressed standard 180lb springs 225mm long - 185mm when fitted.

I have bought 250lb 9" long springs but they are a tight fit! Suggest 8" long if you buy them, standard mini front shocks are fine and cheap.

Thanks for the replies all.

Si, I'm a little confused; I've just been looking through the forum, and in a separate post you state that you replaced your springs with 250lb, 8 inch items. Can you confirm what you've used please?

Anyone else with any recommendations on springs?

Cheers

Charlie

Charlie, Sorry for confusion, I did use 250lb, NOT 180lb, and they were 8 inch long - sorry for the confusion, Si