Rear Half Shafts

Guest 2bsprint

don't know whether there is anything specific about rear wheel drives that needs left hand thread, but most of the other cars i've done (fwd) have been normal tightening. So i don't think it actually matters technically or they have changed their thinking. There is prob a clever answer but i don't know it :)

also half of your wheel nuts are spinning the wrong way??! :)

interesting link. also explains the wheel nuts!

although not sure why the fwd ones i've done are normal handed. Are the sierra ones locked at all? The front ones i've done have a bit to hammer in to lock them, wondering if the sierra ones don't have this and rely on Left/right threads to keep them in place.

who would have thought there is a conversation in which way to tighten nuts :)

Guest Ian & Carole

All HGV and PSV's have Left hand threads on the N/S.

Caravans have had an issue over the years with wheels falling off, always the N/S interestingly! The caravan council have spent a fortune developing a new wheel bolt which they think has cured the problem.

I think it is some thing to do with the centrifugal forces caused by the rotation of the wheel undoing the nut.

You see a lot of commercial vehicles with the high vis. pointers on the wheel nuts all pointing at each other, used as a quick visual that none are moving or have moved.

All HGV and PSV's have Left hand threads on the N/S.

Caravans have had an issue over the years with wheels falling off, always the N/S interestingly! The caravan council have spent a fortune developing a new wheel bolt which they think has cured the problem.

I think it is some thing to do with the centrifugal forces caused by the rotation of the wheel undoing the nut.

You see a lot of commercial vehicles with the high vis. pointers on the wheel nuts all pointing at each other, used as a quick visual that none are moving or have moved.

Some also have a nut in Hi vis behind the wheel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!