Gravity Fed Or Underneith Mini Spray Gun?

agent_zed

Hi,

I;m thinking of getting a small paint spray gun as my big one is too big for the odd little job. There are 2 different types being the gravity fed ones with the hopper above and the ones with the hopper below. Which is better?

My big gun has the hopper below. But i can see the advantage of above as i've scraped the gun on paintwork before. duh.

It's only for small jobs on the car and also i've built a guitar which i need to touch up a few bits which will be easier with a smaller gun.

any thoughts appreciated.

thanks

Guest Ian & Carole

That's a nice bit of kit Bob.

Most Pros now seem to be using gravity fed ones nowadays though.

Chris N will be here soon to put us all straight, being a pro him self.

looks nice. how do you get on with the top trigger? i'm only used to normal gun type trigger.

i wonder though if a gravity fed one might be easier to get into some areas i can't get a normal gun.

Could you do a reasonable area with it? i.e. a guitar neck kind of size or would you stick with a bigger gun?

P.S. i only ever spray celly if that makes a difference.

Its gravity fed Spay guns for me every time but I do have suction guns (pot underneath)for large flat areas as they take up to a litre of paint at a time.

With a gravity fed gun its easier to paint panels like roofs, bonnets etc.. as your not dragging the paint pot across the job, and low down jobs like sills and wheel arches all you have to think about is keeping the air line out of the way. Plus with a gravity fed you can turn the air pressure right down and still have a good flow of paint from the gun if doing things like smart repairs.

That's retired pro please Ian :p ;)

I sprayed all the GRP parts of my car with it no trouble at all.

BTW I got it in WAL-MART it cost US$ 16!!!!!!

I have also used bigger pot type guns, but I find them too heavy nowadays....arthritic thumbs..etc.

For smaller model aircraft stuff,(up to 7ft wingspan) I use this....

http://www.paascheairbrush.com/products/airbrushes-airbrush-parts-and-accessories/Airbrushes/double-action/VL-SET

Far & away the dearest gun I have...