Exmo Advice

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

I'm looking to buy my first car and I have recently come across an exmo 7 for sale with 11 months mot 6 tax and could do with a general opinion as the car needs quite a bit of work doing to it. Its based on a ford sierra, with a stainless painted chassis and has a 2 litre pinto with lsd and a 5 speed box. It comes with full wet weather gear but the interior needs doing. It has seperate gauges: rev temp speedo and pressure but the car itself looks tired.

its for sale for £2500 and was wondering what you thought?

As I'm only young then i was thinking about putting a 1.6 pinto in to reduce insurance, would this be easy enough to do?

what do you think?

The pics are on www.kitcarpics.tk

thanks for any advice

James

the 1.6 Pinto would be a straight swap, but just check the clutch spinner to be the same splines. providing the 1.6 had a 5 speed box on it, there's no problem.

First of all, phone some of the insurances and get quotes for both 2 ltr & 1.6 ltr. i'll think that you'll find there's not much difference.

The interior trim is fairly easy to redo, and so is a new dashboard providing the gauges are all Ok. It just takes time, but can be done nicely quite cheaply. If that's the main problem, then it's cheap, check the rest of it over.

Guest jawald

I think it looks rough for the money -£1500 might be nearer the mark. Body looks a bit bumped about wipers could never have worked by the looks of them, seats need replacement cant have been on the road for a while so brakes etc will need an overhall. Unless you have got loads of time It doesn't look like a runner this summer. Keep looking is my advise unless you can get it cheaper. Mind you I'm not in a good mood at the moment 'cos I should be at Newark but the rest of the family have gone down with a stomoch bug. :angry: :angry: So perhaps I'm being over critical - but I dont think so

Guest Stuart Ainslie

IMHO, it looks a bit rough and not well cared for.

Give it a miss if I were you - Could end up being a money pit...

Get yourself a part-built 2b for about £1500 and finish it off yourself - It would work out a better deal than that one.

hello dr fox,

i wouldnt go near that, it looks very uncared for. If the visible stuff looks badly done then god knows what the rest could be like underneath. Hoods can be got for around or just under the £3k mark if you're prepared to wait, which would make £2500 look a bit dear for something as poorly looking as that. One went at the Stafford car show for 3 grand that looked very tidy, with roof and the lot, and theres one appeared on the site here for under 3 grand, that looks very cheap, with a professionally fettled engine, and various other desirable bits.

here: http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=3879

hope to se you in a nice hood soon.

paul

Guest docter fox

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice.

Its saved me from buying something which i would regret later.

I appreiciate the information on the engine swap as i wasnt sure it if would work. :rolleyes:

The opinions were comical if not helpful :)

Ill continue to look round and see whats about and John Bakers S7 seems to be a good example.

Thanks again for the help

James