Fuel Leaks

The speedo packed up ---- did the secondary speed restriction device operate? A quick stab in the ribs with a carefully aimed right elbow. Seem to be a universal fitment when the passenger seat is occupied by our lovely ladies.

• Like 1

The speedo packed up ---- did the secondary speed restriction device operate? A quick stab in the ribs with a carefully aimed right elbow. Seem to be a universal fitment when the passenger seat is occupied by our lovely ladies.

Hmmm....Thinking about it - It's the quietest I have ever known the wife and her hands never left the dashboard ;)

In fact I think the nails are still embedded and I require the pliers for extraction.

Guest Ian & Carole

Carole broke three finger nails whilst holding on to the side of her seat when we did a lap of the "Ring" in around 12 /14 mins she also said she had her eyes shut all the way. What a waste!!! Mind you so did I a couple of times ! :rofl: :lol:

DSCN1918.jpg

Speedo - Thought I would attempt to fix the speedo this weekend.

Trace the wiring to what looks like a sensor attached at the end of the propeller shaft before the rear axle.

Looked thru the forums for ideas and found there should be magnets attached to the shaft. Re-checked and sure enough found scratch marks on the shaft and 2 different sized magnets thrown but stuck to the underneath of the car (could have been there for years or after my speedo broke).

To cut the story short, I have since stuck the magnets back onto the shaft and took it out for another spin 24 hours later. The speedo is now working, but not correctly. During cruising at 30mph the speedo sensor seems to be registering OK, But as soon as I accelerate hard the speedo then seems to miss or stop registering (drops off).

Any ideas... Could a magnet had fell off and it's not registering correctly as speed increases?

I know nothing about the sensor and have no documentation, I was curious if I may have stuck the wrong magnets on incorrectly (or the wrong way round) as they were different sizes and strength. I have got back under the car to check the magnets have stayed on, but can only see one at the moment. Will update later, if I manage to get under the car tonight to check if second magnet is still attached.

Meantime - As Sunday was a washout and all the shops were closed I decided (against the wife's wishes) to remove the tread plate from the rear and quickly build a boot to put the wet/breakdown gear in:

post-12997-0-70731200-1398152566_thumb.jpg

I now need to just put a locking door on the existing boot cover and re-attach this weekend.

Sitting at work thinking....... :lazy:

Should my Radiator has an expansion tank?

I keep finding a little puddle of water under the radiator every time I come to using the car but cannot find any leaks. I remember yesterday after a little test drive, that the temperature sensor was showing 90 and the fan was howling. I opened the bonnet and cannot remember seeing an expansion tank, but a small hose hanging down.

Could this be the culprit?

Guest mower man

Sitting at work thinking....... :lazy:

Should my Radiator has an expansion tank?

I keep finding a little puddle of water under the radiator every time I come to using the car but cannot find any leaks. I remember yesterday after a little test drive, that the temperature sensor was showing 90 and the fan was howling. I opened the bonnet and cannot remember seeing an expansion tank, but a small hose hanging down.

Could this be the culprit?

Probably !!! mowqer man :crazy:

Guest david_l_perry

This is the usual thing to see if you dont have an expansion tank - the filler on the radiator has a small tube that goes into a bottle. The bottle is just to pick up the water that comes out of the tube when the rad pressure builds up and lifts the rad lid

This was my 2b when I first got it:-

IMG_0166.jpg

I now have a proper expansion tank fitted from a polo - works a treat, I fitted a rubber seal under the radiator cap so its not really doing anything now.

1185819_10201622962473478_679568654_n.jpg

This is the usual thing to see if you dont have an expansion tank - the filler on the radiator has a small tube that goes into a bottle. The bottle is just to pick up the water that comes out of the tube when the rad pressure builds up and lifts the rad lid

I now have a proper expansion tank fitted from a polo - works a treat, I fitted a rubber seal under the radiator cap so its not really doing anything now.

WOW....Love the layout of the engine bay and the positioning of the radiator means you get the best of all the cool breeze blowing into it. Mental note for winter fixes, Must work on the engine and cooling system and start collecting bits from an old Polo for the radiator etc.

That radiator looks very small to fit into the front....what's it off?

Meantime, I might just place the tube into a temporary aluminium bike water bottle and attach to the side of the chassis to collect the toxic overflow.

Edited by Dino

Carole broke three finger nails whilst holding on to the side of her seat when we did a lap of the "Ring" in around 12 /14 mins she also said she had her eyes shut all the way. What a waste!!! Mind you so did I a couple of times ! :rofl: :lol:

Ian, is that bungee rope on the front of the car bonnet?

Guest Ian & Carole

Ian, is that bungee rope on the front of the car bonnet?

Yes

We travelled 2500 miles on that trip into Germany and some clown reversed into our car in the car park of the "ring" breaking off my bonnet catch.

The bungee was fitted to keep the bonnet shut.

7 cars X 2500 = 17500 miles and that was the only break in the whole trip.