Slow Cranking Zetec Starter

flameredturbo

Far better day cut short by the rain!

Starter turns and engine turns freely as I'd expect from a crate. It won't quite spring into life though had hoped for a 2second run then kill.

Few questions, I've adjusted fuel pressure to 45psi as I'd read that's correct? (Gsxr1000 injectors)

Not sure if the oil pressure gauge is working as it didn't move on crank, pos wired wrong. So second question, cam lobes have oil on them after cranking so I have oil flow?

Any simple problems others have had in the past that had prevented first start up?

Have you wired up and oil pressure switch? If so remove the plugs and spin the engine over on the starter and the light will go out if you get good pressure.

No idea of GSXR injectors but my Zetec injectors are running about 3bar pressure for comparrison.

I'm using the sender from the pinto, the wires on the loom had two wires, one labelled gauge and one labelled oil light.

I had expected the light to go out on cranking but it doesn't, so have kept turning the engine to a minimum. The cam lobes having oil on a good sign? I've left the brand new filter the engine arrived with on under the assumption it would have been filled with oil by ford? Should I spin it off and fill it?

As above, the filter self primes, but you probably need to check after cranking / running for a few seconds that the oil level hasn't dropped too much and top up if needed once filter has some oil in it.

If you have oil at the cams, then cranking speed shouldn't pose much of a problem. Sounds like an electrical gremlin is hibernating in your engine ...

Simon.

• Like 1

Difficult to tell if a bit of oil on the cams means it pumping. You could pull out the oil light sender, position rags around the hole and turn the engine over briefly. Oil should squirt out if it is pumping.

Did your engine come with oil in it. I had a job getting a new blacktop to suck oil. Eventually I decided the pump was dry and needed priming. (Make up an oil bath from an old filter, screwed in place. Or half a tin can plasticined in place. Cut out the upper half, gut and clean it. Remove anti-drainback flap from filter. Fill with oil. Wind engine backwards gently with plugs out.) Sorted.

Nigel

It's good practice and most manufacturers do put a relay in the starter circuit to supply the solenoid, avoiding the need to pass the solenoid current through the ignition switch and cooking its contacts.

• Like 1

Guest alfaGTA

The zetec head on my silvertop engine has several grub screws at the end of the oil galleries, you can remove and look for oil flow, or whip the rocker cover off and crank on the starter to fill the head with oil, mine always self primed quickly but were used engines.

Pinto oil pressure sender working no problem on the zetec.

Have you an earth strap from engine to chassis?