Slow Cranking Zetec Starter

flameredturbo

Without knowing what loom you have the wires could be for anything.

Did you remove them from the previous engine or are they a new find?

They were connected to the pinto starter, one had a female spade connector the other a female round connector, I no longer have the starter from the pinto so can't work out what's what. Looking under the dash at the push button start there is a yellow and blue wire but no sign of the black and green one that I don't have a home for at present. they were both labeled as solenoid in the engine bay.

I have tried the whole connecting up the undone starter to a battery with a jump lead but for some reason only have one jump lead so can't earth it. It did nothing.

On the bright side I bleed in the front brakes after big leaks in the week, no t piece for brake light sensor now though so no brake light!

I

Isn't there a relay, somewhere between the ignition and starter? If that has gone faulty, it might not be giving the starter enough power.

That's what I thought but I can't see anything anywhere! Was one of my first thoughts as the starter would half turn the engine then stop almost as if the relay was stopping it.

if i am thinking correctly a problem between the ignition and starter is less likely as the starter is turning. All the ignition switch does is turn on the starter solenoid (which must be working if the starter is turning). The big current for turning the starter full speed is then turned on, which is independant to the ignition side of things.

sounds like not enough current is flowing somewhere. Try connecting your jumplead to the bolt holding the starrter on and then to the neg terminal of the battery as that should earth it fully.

if i am thinking correctly a problem between the ignition and starter is less likely as the starter is turning. All the ignition switch does is turn on the starter solenoid (which must be working if the starter is turning). The big current for turning the starter full speed is then turned on, which is independant to the ignition side of things.

sounds like not enough current is flowing somewhere. Try connecting your jumplead to the bolt holding the starrter on and then to the neg terminal of the battery as that should earth it fully.

Ok, will give that a try tomorrow, I'm charging the battery tonight to be sure on that front to.

Guest Gargoil

I have just ordered a repair and servicing manual, so don't know where this relay would be located. Odds on it will be in the fuse box. Do you here any clicking noises as the key is turned? You will probably need someone to turn the key for you while you listen.

Just to be sure here also, I have the + from the battery going onto the big terminal on the starter then there's a copper coloured one called sta that has a braided wired to the starter it's self that has nothing then a third terminal that I connect my yellow and blue wire to.

I have just ordered a repair and servicing manual, so don't know where this relay would be located. Odds on it will be in the fuse box. Do you here any clicking noises as the key is turned? You will probably need someone to turn the key for you while you listen.

It started just clicking towards the end if the day after the battery was prob worn.

To me it sounds like you have either a bad + from battery to starter, poor earth from battery to chassis/ engine or a battery with a dead cell not providing enough amps to the motor try using decent jump leads to creat another earth or jump it from another car and see what happens

clicking is usually a drained battery. relay has enough power to turn on (click) but not enough for the starter to turn.

try this thread it has some useful pics http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=25173&st=15

Looks like I'm not the only one that's had these problems. It's just been the cherry on the cake with the week.

I've had leaking brake lines, wrong cables coming for the omex, throttle cable nightmares, engine that's dropped to low, with a sump that wouldn't clear a cats eye! wrong plug for water temp sensor (kit and sensor on it's way from omex) etc etc etc.

There is no "relay" as such in the starter circuit as it would have to be a very big one capable of 100s of amps.

The solenoid which pre-engages the starter is also the relay which switches the high current need for the starter which is why you can't find another one anywhere else.

If the solenoid starts and the starter tries to turn, either the battery is not up to scratch, a bad earth somewhere - or possibly burnt out contacts inside the solenoid - but I think that would be unlikely unless the starter jammed at some time in the past.

Simon.

There is no "relay" as such in the starter circuit as it would have to be a very big one capable of 100s of amps.

The solenoid which pre-engages the starter is also the relay which switches the high current need for the starter which is why you can't find another one anywhere else.

If the solenoid starts and the starter tries to turn, either the battery is not up to scratch, a bad earth somewhere - or possibly burnt out contacts inside the solenoid - but I think that would be unlikely unless the starter jammed at some time in the past.

Simon.

Thanks for your advice, I've put the battery on charge(it's always had the green light on though), I'll move onto other things today and make positive progress.

I'll tidy up the engine loom and tie it neatly etc.