Gearbox Decisions

lockyer89

Hi,

I've just dropped the gearbox out - working fine, no grinding issues or noises. I imagine it's probably done 100 odd thousand miles so i'd like to give it a little spring clean!

How easy of a job is it to change the main bearing, there is a bit of play on the main shaft? Type 9 box by the way. Also a new set of gaskets and seals wouldn't go a miss? Is there anything else, whilst it's out i could or anyone would suggest doing on it? And are these jobs easy enough to carry out, i don't want to start stripping the whole thing down.

Help always appreciated.

Thanks!

Simon

Guest Ian & Carole

You do need a few special tools and you will need a ford workshop manual and access to a press.

But if like you say all working fine with no noise or problems , clean it paint it and re fit it.

I might be tempted to change the end seal that the prop shaft runs on as that is the only real weak link in the box.

Like the sign on the hotel door "DO NOT DISTURB"

I think the 25 years worth of gunk i just cleaned off, is now all over me! Will leave it as is then!! Having the prop shaft looked over to make sure everything is alright, make sure the UJ's are in good condition. The guy that originally built the car i swear must of had shares in cable ties, the things are all over the place! So mid way through a strip down, paint and rebuild.

Cheers for the replies.

Simon