Embarrasing Newbie Question No2 - Coilover Direction?

FERRINO

Following on from my previous embarrasing newbie question:-

I've just built up the new coilovers and will be looking at fitting them soon. I'm assuming they are supposed to sit in this direction as the instruction labels read this way? I don't want to go and fit them upside down if they are designed to be directional:-

20140325_082306_zps62b2b376.jpg

20140325_082300_zps48577441.jpg

Cheers

Tony :)

Guest mower man

They CAN be fitted either but the way you have them is the norm ,one thing to remember with the Spax damper you have is to ensure that you can acsess the damper adjust screw at the bottom of the unit ,mounting them the otherway up give a slight reduction on unspung weight but for a road car its not that critical ,myops only mowerman :crazy:

Guest chris brown

You are not the first to ask this and the answer is they can be fitted either way up. With the spring at the bottom and the shock at the top then there is slightly less unsprung weight than the other way up also you may find that you have better clearance on the wishbone one way rather than the other I know I did when I fitted 2.25 id springs.

Note to self must type quicker

Edited by chris brown

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be a spoiler for this but Spax say they must be fitted with the adjuster at the bottom, I had hoped to fit them 'upside down' but thought I should check.

Thanks Peter - Always good to have it confirmed by the manufacturer.

I actually got round to knocking up the mounts and bolting it loosely in place this weekend. Looks much better than the big Sierra spring and huge shock, and also a handy 2.5kg weight saving each side :)

20140413_101240_zpsbe48579b.jpg

20140413_101217_zps258ab855.jpg

20140413_101208_zpsed19b70b.jpg

Guest chris brown

Sorry to be a spoiler for this but Spax say they must be fitted with the adjuster at the bottom, I had hoped to fit them 'upside down' but thought I should check.

Never spoken to the Spax man it was the Gaz chap at Stoneleigh a few years ago that told me. Strange that they should differ. The only time I would have thought it would make any differance to there operation (apart from unsprung weight) would be when they were old and leaking and air would get to the valve if they were fitted with it at the top

Guest mower man

I think that the answer Chris if they are leaky they are b---ered any way but are possibly more prone to leaks if fitted australian style mowerman :crazy: :crazy: