Cracking S7

blue

Blue, does your front end look similar to mine? This is a 3A. As mentioned before I changed the pivot rod for a long M16 HT bolt ,machined spacers and flanged nylon bushes so that I could clamp both sides of the cross member securely but allow the wishbone to pivot.

image_zps5e9e40a1.jpg

The top angles hold the nosecone in place on mine, they are bolted through the front member and top of the monocoque sides. I used reinforcing plates underneath. I have had to use a photobucket account to put my photos up as the file sizes were too large like yours.

Hope you get it sorted

Rob

Forgot to add re the rear bang, check the shock absorber mounting method at the top. Mine had weak angle mounts that had started to come loose and cracked the mounting points on the monocoque. I replaced mine with box section and side plates bolted through reinforcing plates on the boot side, welded up the cracks and added reinforcing plates there. Jobs a "good un"

hi Blue, photo taken as best as I can. Yes its only bolted through the stainless sheet but this has lasted for 15-20,000 miles without problems but I have now improved it as I said by bolting through both verticals and clamping the 2 sides together, 60mm diameter thick washers have been fitted under the bolt head and nut to spread the load. I have put up other photos showing the parts I used for my mod, also showing the reinforcing I have done to the lower shock mounts as I was told that this bottom folded channel has been know to bend (I think it happened when using the original high poundage spring rates which put a shock load down on to it)

Rob

image_zpsffc49bbd.jpg

IMG_5069_zps3f23fd27.jpg

image_zps7e098756.jpg

Guest mower man

I see the diferrence from my car ,yours has a stainless fabb'd bottom cross member where mine uses the sierra member ,the top frame I have mentioned is bolted to the mounting towers of the oririg cross member and the whole bolted to the tub, I had probs early on with siezed top wish bone pivot but redrilled frame and bone bushes to 14mm and used a cap head bolt and drilled pivot tube for a grease nipple no more probs25/30 k miles on! mower man

Edited by mower man

Guest mower man

Haven't seen one like that. Would like to have a look at it if I get to meet you at a show.

Rob

Will be at Stoneliegh and Donnington all being well , I have not seen one like yours in the flesh only partial photos , Im taking photos of mine this week for Blue on here If you send me your Postal address not email I send same to you for your interest mower man :crazy:

I think you need to get this one on some ramps and have a very good look around. If the front wishbone pivot points have been neglected to the extent you describe then how about the rest of the car. I'm not trying to be negative, but would hate to hear about something nasty happening while you were driving on the road. The amount of force needed to cause the damage shown in your picture is frightening. Be safe not sorry.

Update !! We'll all front was stripped and the front suspension was all greased etc. from what I can see the builder put it together thinking that the nylon bushes were enough for the suspension to pivot on and assembled it with no grease ????? He also tightened the pivot bar so tight that even when the shock was removed the arm still needed a little encouragement to move up and down (I had to use a breaker bar to undo nut on pivot) so all redone and a 3mm plate temp put on till I find or am happy with a better way