Zetec 285Cams Weber Jet Sizes (45Dcoe)

The stylus is about to get a few more pony's, via a set of 285 cams and verniers that i have acquired, i was just wondering if anyone is running this set up on 45 webers and could give me an idea on jet and choke size, my current set up is producing 175bhp on standard cams with 140mains and 36mm chokes. I,m thinking 155mains and poss back to 40mm chokes?

Next issue is the cam will need the revs increasing from 6400 cut to 7500 unfortunately my webcon unit will not allow me to change anything so it will have to go and be replaced by megajolt or similar, unless anyone has the software for the webcon?? shame to bin it but it looks like webcon will want the the thick end of £65 to reprogram it.

Next issue whats safe to rev a zetec on standard crank too, web seems to say 7200 then it will need arp bolts ? any recommendations as to where to get them ? not burton to many bad experiences with them.

While i,m playing i thought raising the compression a little might give a little more bhp, whats best a thinner head gasket or get the new head skimmed. How much would be good to skim it by ?

Hoping for 200bhp + have 25bhp to find the cams are worth 22bhp on there own.

should be a fun drive once done. :drinks:

dan

i got my ARP bolts of the flee bay for reasonable money, some say 7200 others say 7500 but for £60 ish is it worth taking the risk

paying £65 to webcon is better then £££ for new ecu then reprogramming that, i know megajolt or emerald allows for more flexibility but that costs

I have the software for webcon

But the alpha is set to 7200 as standard not 6400??

I have a really good relationship with webber as my car was used for there development work on the alpha and for £65 I'd send it to them. Or you'll sell secondhand at a loss them spend ££££ on a new ecu then have to get it set up agIn etc.

and the arp bolts are a must !!! Ford limited revs in a mondao to 6500 for a reason !!!

Ongoing problem with webcon is the non DIY aspect of it. You might as well change it now. Yes you lose money but end up with a system which you can alter yourself.

The very fact that you build kit cars is a rejection of the 'Sorry mate, Dealer only' ethos which is such a pain in modern motoring repairs. 'Your new EGR valve will need coding to the ECU'. 'It's gone into limp mode cos the service light is on.' 'We'll have to connect it to diagnostics and that will be 75 quid before we fit the new plugs'.

Nothing wrong with webcon itself, just their hand in your pocket approach.

Nigel

It's the locked approach that naffs me off, I.d rather sell it on and get something else. £65 quid to alter a bit of software is a total rip off in my opinion! On the dyno it was cutting out at 6400 not 7200 ? I bought the car built so have no idea what was done prior other than the 45.s and ignition were bought new in 2001.

If you have the software would you be prepared to alter it for me ?

Come on guys if your going to give advice on here at least know what your talking about !!!

Fact 1. Webcon is not and had not been dealer only adj for years ( you can down load the software from there site for free all you have to do is buy the lead £25 )

Fact 2 read any advert for webcon and it says in big letters SOFTWARE NOW INCLUDED so you don't even have to down load it !

Fact 3. Webcon is the only manufacturer that only sell one ecu so if you buy it to just run sparks then want to run full management injection then you only need to buy the new loom no need to buy a 400 then a 600 when you want you upgrade to injection etc

Fact 4 If you tell webber your set up when you order ie GBS single plenum or throttle body's etc it will come 100% ready to use not with a get you started base map that still needs a rolling road tune

I could go on but please don't start going on about what it can't do till you know what it can do!!

I chose the alpha cos it's a fit and forget item not at tweek all the time item.

That's good to know that you can download the webcon software. However it must be a recent change as webcon owners ask regularly on Locostbuilders site if anyone has it and the answer, even a couple of weeks ago was no. Not publicised well enough? Perhaps you could post the download link on here now and it would be helpful to post it on locostbuilders as well. I couldn't find the link on the webcon site. I looked in their download section which might be a bit stupid of me.

100% ready to use? That seems rather too good to be true. It would seem wise to rolling road any new injection setup.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Here is the link.

http://www.webcon.co.uk/Download_Centre/index_new.html

I know what you mean about to good to be true but please bear in mind that unlike mega jolt etc weber has been around like 40 yrs + and there stuff is fitted by major manufacturers Lamborghini ect. not just tuners. so they research properly and spend ££££££ doing so

OK, Blue. Found it. Although I still get a download page without the alpha Pro 5 software on it if I go in the normal way to the site. But your download link works fine. First time I have seen the software available. That takes away my fundamental objection to webcon ECUs at a stroke.

Nigel

Now i have checked my ecu its a pl150silver 3d kit, i,ve downloaded the software no problem to but i cannot find the lead to connect to pc ? or any reference that the ecu is user adjustable everything i read says webcon dealer only? would rather keep it but i,m not paying a shed load just to have the rev limit raised.

Guest RoborRoss

...if its only a loaner cable and you end up wanting to buy one:

USB to RS232 adapter at a bargain price:

http://www.testerman...apter-convertor

...but you still need the cable.

This however:

http://www.web-syste...oducts&pid=6227

....is the converter and cable all in one. £7

Check your gender first tho!!!

Edited by RoborRoss

That's it I give up, I cannot connect to the alpha ecu keeps saying offline do you need a special lead? Rather than a rs232 to usb. No where on the Web can I find anything that says you can user adjust the webcon ecu everything says you can't. Please correct me if I.m wrong.

Hi yes you need a lead that changes over 2 pins. If you can't find it on web page just phone them up and they will post one out.

When you downloaded software have you looked at the home screen. It should be a red page with dials and a load of options across the top In basic setting near the bottom you will see rev limit. You just change it to what you want eg. 6400 to 7500 them press up load and job done

Mr blue, it would seem you have the wrong end of the stick regards webcon ecu,s. I spoke with them today and he confirmed my pi 150 silver isn't and has never been map able by the general public, it is dealer or webcon only. He offered to adjust it for me at £45+ vat or part ex it for the new system at £399 + vat. The new system version 5 is as you claim mapable by the general public.

This is what I was told today when I asked to buy a lead. Either way it's a pain in the chuff. So i will be selling it on and replacing it with something other than webcon.

Maybe you have access to different info from them I.m just going on what they said today.