Front Brake Flex' Hoses

PaulF2B

I am currently working through my fail list from my first IVA, one of the issues was the front flexible brake hoses were not fixed when going through the body panel.

I have a secure bracket on the angled chassis member where the copper brake pipe ends. My flexible pipe then went through a grommeted hole and out to the caliper.

I found this company with a good website that seems to allow me to order exactly the hoses I need with double bolt locator that should allow me to fix the hose as it passes through the body.

http://www.brake-lines.co.uk/create-your-custom-brake-hose.html

Has anyone used these before? Or used other custom hose suppliers?

There's plenty of places that'll make flexi hoses up to your specification. About 3 years ago I used Mtec racing in Tamworth to do mine and as they're close to you, it might be worth giving them a call to see if they'll make some up while you wait. That way you know that what you're getting is correct.

http://www.mtec-racing.com/

• Like 1

whilst it's obviously not a good idea to argue with the examiner did you discuss how they would like to see it rectified? for example most production car brake lines have a rubber piece that sits in a mounting on the suspension strut. Could you leave your current mounting and, rather than a grommet in which the pipe is loose, use the rubber mounting (basically a grommit with a groove in it - if you know what i mean) and have a plate that holds in the groove which you can bolt to the body side?

the pipe would now be held by the rubber mount at the body side.

hope that makes some sort of sense.

edit - for mine (going through sva 2007) i just put a hole through the body side and used the standard spring clip to hold it.

Edited by agent_zed
  • Like 1

Guest Ian Maycock

I have recently replaced mine with the Car Builders Solutions self assembly hose and connectors. See attcahed. For the problem of the hose not being secured through body panels you need a bulkhead conector. If you look on page 16 of their catalogue, this can be downloaded from their website, you can see how it fits together. Very easy, uses compression joints like your plumbing at home.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/braking-and-clutch-system?pagenumber=8

HTH