Pancake Air Filter

Guest Steve

Guest Steve

Does anybody know where I can buy the thin pancake air filters? I have a 2.0 Pinto in a 2B with the standard carb and just need a suitable filter for it. Any ideas welcome.

Cheers

Steve

Guest Peejay

Sometimes local accessory shops have them in stock. Forget Halfords they'll sell you a K&N for 3 arms and 2 legs,. Or maybe a piper cross for 2 arms and 1 leg, but they have a habit of catching fire!! The stands at the big show's are a good bet, or an autojumble or Someone like Demon Tweeks, Europa or Burtons.

Guest Andy Rathbone

hold on a min, Canley classics at fillongly and get a shiney chrome pancake for a triumph spitfire(they fit two,but are sold seperatly, you will only need one(unless you c0ckit up)), you will need to use the plastic hole out of the back of the original air filter box to lift the filter high enough for the butterflies to open and you can use it as a template to re cut the hole in the back of your new filter as it was originally designed for an SU carb. dont feel to bad about butchering it they are only £7.50 ago (they where they might be 8 quid by now) :D

i will do a quick drawing to help just a min

Guest Andy Rathbone

here is a rough sketch, the green bit is the filter element and the blue is plastic bit cut out of the back of the original air filter box, its held on the top of the carb ( the grey bit) with 4 standard M6 bolts, and thats it job done for less than a tenner. :D

post-6-1088519358.jpg

Guest jetskijase

Where's big Jim??? ^_^ ^_^

With the old "pancake filters are crap" :p

You should be able to get a thin k&n or piperx under the bonnet, well hope so as i've got a domw piperx filter.

As jim wrote a while back they restrict the air flow to your carb.

Jase

Guest Steve

I am in North London and I don't mind if they are less than perfect if they solve the problem. All offers excepted for a reasonable sum.

Steve

less than perfect if they solve the problem

They are less perfect than none at all! DON'T fit one of these! they are only fit for standing your cup on in the garage.

You obviously aren't reading the replies. You will finish up with dints in your bonnet from the nuts that hold them together, and your engine will run rich & like a bag of *brown smelly sausage shaped stuff!*

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Guest Andy Rathbone

you gather right :D

mine runs, i think ok. its only got to get through SVA then its getting the twin 40 treatment and after that i wont care :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: