Main Veam Woes Help Small Progress

Guest b3nny

Guest b3nny

Today I've been attempting to fix my main been issues.

I have a white and blue which runs from the stalk to the relay and this gets power when either switched on or flashed, I have a solid blue wire which runs from the relay to the headlamps which controls the main beam however this never gets power when flashed or switched on BUT when I connect the solid blue to a live feed the main beam comes on with no issues.

Am I right in thinking this can only be the relay? As every other terminal on the relay gets power apart from the terminal which the main beam (solid blue) connects to.

I'm determined to crack this and not admit defeat call in a auto sparky!

The relay coil will need to be earthed Normally this will be 85

86 will normally go to the switch.

The fact that every terminal but the output gets power makes me think that 85 is not earthed.

Guest b3nny

I did think this could be at as really it could be the only thing! But wanted somebody that knows electrics to confirm as I know absolutely nothing and am teaching myself!

Is there a Pacific relay for main beam or is it just a normal 4 pin relay?

Guest b3nny

The relay coil will need to be earthed Normally this will be 85

86 will normally go to the switch.

The fact that every terminal but the output gets power makes me think that 85 is not earthed.

Sorry every terminal apart from the black (assume earth) is getting power, if this was the case instead of tracing wires back could I just snip it blank the wire and connect a earth from the terminal to the chassis?

Try using a test lamp ( any 12volt bulb/lamp with a pair of leads/wires ) a flasher bulb & holder is good. Connect one wire to a good,clean earth ( or direct on battery negative ) & the other test lamp wire to the relay black terminal -- with head-lights turned ON at the dash switch the relay should now operate & feed power to head-lights. Can also use the test lamp to prove if the black wire is a good earth by connecting with this black wire & battery positive.

Edited by florin metal works

Guest b3nny

I don't have a spare lamp/holder but will source one if needs be, could I not just connect a wire with a spade end to the terminal and the battery neg and if the main beam works I know the earth is at fault if not it's the really that's knackerd?

Yes you can -- but if your view of the wiring is incorrect ---- something somewhere will get very hot , very quickly. The test lamp limits the current flow to no more than the wattage of the lamp/bulb -- in my suggestion above this will be less than 2 amps ( the relay coil will only draw a fraction of an amp) even if connected straight across the battery -- something not recommended with an odd piece of wire. If you go the route of suck it & see with a piece of wire just make certain the connection is only the briefest of "dabs" when completing the circuit.

Lucas smoke can be expensive to replace in the wiring; & red hot copper makes a mess of your pinkies & hurts.

Guest b3nny

I have my middle indicators very close to the relays would I be able to use that as the lamp and holder and just disconnect from its circuit and use how you have said? Don't really want to burn anything out!

Probably NOT -- don't confuse your self by trying to use other parts of the wiring that may be connected perfectly well ATM. There is a device available which is a step-up/ modern equivalent of my test lamp & leads --- some-one will probably give a pointer to this ; maybe.

Guest b3nny

The side indicators are just flush mount indicators connected to the main loom with spade connectors, my thinking was if I disconnected these and used the wired attached to the holders it would be just like the setup you have mentioned.

I'm not trying to dis regard anything you say as I'm clueless just looking for a way I can do it tomorrow if I can't source a holder and bulb unit.

Guest garyfelton

Yep that's a test light. To test the earth with this put the clip end to the battery positive terminal and the pointed end onto the black wire in the terminal block, (relay disconnected of course), if the test lamp illuminates then your earth is ok. HTH

Your test lamp with probe is O.K for checking earths & live feeds but may not be a high enough wattage to allow sufficient power to operate the relay coil. Give it a go -- with your test lamp in circuit you can't get a dead short.

Guest b3nny

Cheers guys will try the suggestions when I get home from work, if it turns out to be a bad earth will it be a matter of tracing the black wire back? I suppose there's no safe way of connecting another earth safely? It's just there will be a lot of UN taping and 're taping to do