Rear Arches , Caterham Style

Guest Brokey12

Hi Brokey – I know you have a Sub-K but it’s virtually the same frame as the 2B by the looks of it and I’m going through the exact same modification at the moment.

I don’t particularly like the ‘tapered in’ look of the rear of the 2B either and have been busy trying all sorts of different things to change it and make it more Locost/Haynes Roadster’y (which with hindsight is what I should have bought to build in the first place lol).

The main problem is obviously that the rear frame tubes ‘taper’ backwards and you want a flat surface to mount the fibreglass wings to. The solution I found was to buy a Haynes roadster fibreglass rear panel (the Roadster is one of the widest rear tubs I could find:-

20140413_101217_zps258ab855.jpg

IMG_6059_zps1b408d0c.jpg

The roadster panel was still 70mm too short though so I’ve had to cut it and extend (there is 1” square aluminium tube inside the rear panel top and btm now to bolt it back together firmly which you can see in the last few photos at the bottom of the page). The gap will be covered by some aluminium sheet formed to match and sprayed the same colour:-

IMG_6072_zps26b2b084.jpg

I then bought some black Locost rear arches and clamped them to the ‘now flat’ sides. I felt though that the Locost rear arches sit just a little bit too low and don’t look right when you look at the car really:-

IMG_6077_zpsef783559.jpg

IMG_5968_zps6a676a0d.jpg

20140428_223444_zpsc2be1564.jpg

After that a pair of cheap orange fibreglass arches off a GBS Zero appeared on Ebay – so I bought them to try. They seemed to be a pretty good fit and I might be going with these:-

20140506_224239_zps116c3a44.jpg

20140506_224326_zps21ecfce2.jpg

20140426_164311_zps74d438e6.jpg

20140426_164207_zps384b6891.jpg

My part-built kit came with a brand new yellow rear tub off a Tiger cat E1 which was waaaaaayyyyy too narrow and didn’t fit at all – so I’m just experimenting with a cut/shut version of that bonded to the roadster rear panel at the mo. I like it because it covers the stupid ugly swing arm protrusion for the Sierra rear suspension and means I can also have nice ‘flat’ side aluminium panels when the time comes. But if that doesn’t work out or look right then I’ll be using the Zero arches I think.

I don’t know if this is any help at all or not to you? Just thought I’d share it in case it is though.

Cheers

Tony

Guest Brokey12

Sounds good , I was going to do it in stainless but I think it would be twice as much work as is half to cut the frame out and bend a new piece to fit to take out the tapper , may start looking for fibreglass instead :D , I think the rear arches may half to be a waiting game on eBay

Thats nice work Ferrino!

Brokey12 if you wanted to use ally sheet you could basically follow the Haynes rear end and just weld some steel tube to the rear edges to change the curves and straighten up the rear end (i'd leave in the large tubes as extra strength - a boot cover will hide it all). Then bend the ally round and form the edges over the new shape. Bolt your wings on job done!

Sorry auto correct , can you send me some pictures of the black wings please

Yeah I can do, if you message me your email address - I'll send you some more tomorrow morning as I'm just off to bed now.

I'm actually now having to sell those black rear wings (due to the huge bill for the new clutch on the daily driver):-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221477320329?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_373wt_1093