What Should Be On A V5C On Kit Car

Guest Martin.stgeorge

Guest Martin.stgeorge

I have just looked at my v5c and it says it was in an accident? Is there anyway I can find out what was accident the car was in? And is what I have in special note right? Many thanks martin

5C3B7CE5-C089-4B3B-8496-34C0A7ADEA4C_zpsum7xi4u1.jpg

Guest Martin.stgeorge

The v5c says it is a Robin Hood and vin is correct so is the car ok? Is everything as it should be?

Will it affect it's value when coming to insure it?

Guest Martin.stgeorge

The date of first registration was 1998, would this have been originally on a Q plate?

Many thanks for the replays.

Martin

I agree with Bob. The kitcar was probably damaged and the insurance paid out. The owner then bought it back from the insurers and rebuilt it. It was then checked and put back on the road. You used to be able to get a list of previous owners from the DVLA (you have to pay) if you can do that you could contact the owner and find out the history, I did this with a Triumph Stag that we owned. An HPI check would have shown this if it had been an insurance write off claim

Guest CosKev

As above, it will have been a Cat C or D write off, then kept and repaired by the owner or sold on at a salvage auction.

The vin check(VIC)carried out in 2007 would be done once it was repaired to ensure it was not a 'ringer', as a lot of cars bought at salvage auctions used to get there ID put onto stolen undamaged cars.

I can't remember what the law says now regarding selling a previous write off, I thought you had to tell buyers about it, but it could be you only need to tell them if they ask.

Mine also has this on the logbook.

Unfortunately it doesn't take much of a bump

For the insurance to write off a kit car.

They reckon it is down to sourcing parts and the amount of work needed to strip the car and rebuild. The damage on mine was only the rear panel and o/s/r wing. After repair it was inspected and passed, so I wasn't worried about buying it.