Engine Crane Services Required

Hi All,

Does anyone in the Coventry area have an engine crane I am able to borrow and for an hour or two one evening this week and to lend a hand? I have had to get a new speedo cable as the old one snapped. The problem I am having is that the drive tooth in the new cable is preventing the cable fitting in position (not a problem when it was broken) The only way I can access this again is to lift the engine out an inch or two and try reposition the engine/gearbox slightly to allow the access.

I would anticipate this to take no longer than an hour if all goes to plan (will try just releasing the mounts and give it a wiggle) and will travel to you at your convenience.

Cheers,

Zach

It's my only car at the moment so I'm looking for a quick and easy option. Can't really afford for anything to go wrong and not too confident balancing the engine on a trolley jack whilst underneath it. Also, I currently don't have a jack low enough for the car and have to use ramps to be able to get underneath so a trolley jack won't reach.

Big Thanks to Ferrino for the help! Managed to shift the engine enough without disconnecting anything to get my new speedo cable in the back on the gearbox but it sure wasn't as easy as we hoped! Either way I now have a working speedo again!

I'll get some pictures and start a new post somewhere just to warn other Mazda Mx5 Zero builders of the trouble it may cause, unfortunately the engine/gearbox mounts probably need a revisit from GBS to ensure future cars don't suffer the same failure. (will link the new detailed post here when I have it)

Cheers again for the help Tony, and thanks for the offer Chris, both very much appreciated :)

• Like 1

No worries at all Zach - it was great to meet you and I'm glad we got it sorted in the end. :good:

The trouble now is that after drooling all over your lovely Zero all night - I now hate my giant ugly Sliding Pillar 2B even more and want to get rid of it and buy a proper one :D !