Wire Connectors

Knock-on

Just thinking about what connections to use on my home made loom and want to avoid the standard butt connectors as they're rubbish so I have a few options.

The first is a non-insulated crimp connector with a heat shrink tube over the top to protect and make waterproof.

Then we have 2 shop bought connectors. Has anyone used these type of butt connectors before?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-MIXED-HEAT-SHRINK-SOLDER-BUTT-TERMINAL-THROUGH-CONNECTOR-HEATSHRINK-NO-CRIMP-/310866667333?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item486118e745

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MIXED-HEAT-SHRINK-BUTTS-CRIMPS-WIRING-JOINERS-PK30-/280774696924?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415f79dfdc

I would prefer to solder and heat shrink and the joins are great in a static environment but in a car, they can fail under vibration. The first connectors are translucent so it should be easy to check the integrity of the join wouldn't it?

The second ones are crimpers but if you crimp them, wouldn't you run the risk of damaging the heat shrink and breaking the water proofing?

Anyone any experience with these or other connectors?

Guest chris brown

I agree with Dave and cb750 but I have used both types of the heatshrink joints. With the crimp type you do need good crimping tool so as not to damage the heatshrink. We found it was better to tin the wire first to ensure a good joint.

Done a bit more research and it seems that Solder is going to be fine if I use a good heatshrink cover. That will make life easier :)

Has anyone thoughts on a good corrosion resistant solder to use?

Edited by Knock-on

nomal solder will be fine, as will decent quality electrical tape, as long as its going inside the loom and under the loom tape

i had to split into my look last month to wire a towbar connection, the joints where the lighting splits left/right were done this way, and after 4 years in the garage, and another 9 n the road, they looked like i had done them yesterday

you will be fine as long as you can solder