Running In.

Guest Gargoil

Guest Gargoil

Never had to do this before, for various reasons but after an extensive rebuild on a pinto engine, how long do I need to keep the revs low to allow the engine to run in?

Indeed, will it need running in at all?

:search:

Guest Ian & Carole

100+ miles but don't drive it with kid gloves and then thrash the back side off it, drive it hard after a few miles but NO sustained high revs, NO labouring in too low a gear.

Lots of mixed revs and mixed driving, after about 250 miles I would drop the oil and change filter, oil is cheap engines are not.

Edited by Ian & Carole

BUT If you have fiitted a new cam & followers, the advice is to let it run an 2k revs for (IIRC) 15 minutes.

Check Burtons site for details.

Use cheapish oil for the first 250 miles as Ian says, then change oil & filter.

Guest mower man

When I recamed my 2.1 last year ,I used a Newman cam that did not re quire this 20/30 mins at 3000 rpm built with Graphogen build up paste cranked up with no fuel/ ign to veryfy oil pressure started first time ran on fast idle 5/10 mins whist leak checking allowed it to warm up took it up the road no more than 4k for first 100 miles and then gave it the beans up to 6k for another 250 and rolling roaded no probs ,ok if its had bore ,pistons crank grind alittle longer wil not hurt but as Ian says don't cane it but don't lug it 500 miles and you will be good mowerman :crazy:

I've got a rolling road session booked for Friday, and i was thinking the same thing! New head and cam on mine, with a refurbished bottom end. I've had it running in the garage quite a few times for 5-10mins at a time, and then up and down the road a couple of times. Going by what Ian said, i'm guessing a little power run up to 7k will be fine?

Guest Gargoil

That is good news. I thought it might be a couple of thousand to run her in. Rolling road here we come. On a more contentious subject, which oil would be best, a classic car oil all thick and comforting or a good modern oil?

Guest Ian & Carole

Good old fashioned 20/50 cheap and cheerful, Pinto was built around it unless you are full race with 8k revs. then that's a different bag of worms.

With it being as cheap as it is change it every 5 or 6 K

Guest mower man

I've got a rolling road session booked for Friday, and i was thinking the same thing! New head and cam on mine, with a refurbished bottom end. I've had it running in the garage quite a few times for 5-10mins at a time, and then up and down the road a couple of times. Going by what Ian said, i'm guessing a little power run up to 7k will be fine?

Ifyou give it 7k it won't last !! 6.5 max unless cosworth or steel conrods and forged pistons gjust be carefull!!! this is not meant as a knock bythe way mowerman

Guest lotusPaul

Id always recommend priming for oil pressure as stated above. Then on initial start maintain revs of around 1/3 of intended max, say 2000rpm for a pinto. Run for between 15 to20 mins. THEN change oil and filter. I consider this a MUST DO job. Then drive as normal but not using more than 2/3max revs. This should be done for at least 500 miles. Again oil change with filter. Should be run in now and able to take a beasting.

As for oil, pinto is an old engine so tolerance issues may over rule but a good semi synthetic is fine. Halfords is ok in my opinion but make own choice.

Guest lotusPaul

Id always recommend priming for oil pressure as stated above. Then on initial start maintain revs of around 1/3 of intended max, say 2000rpm for a pinto. Run for between 15 to20 mins. THEN change oil and filter. I consider this a MUST DO job. Then drive as normal but not using more than 2/3max revs. This should be done for at least 500 miles. Again oil change with filter. Should be run in now and able to take a beasting.

As for oil, pinto is an old engine so tolerance issues may over rule but a good semi synthetic is fine. Halfords is ok in my opinion but make own choice.