Engine Not Started For Over A Year

johnhetherington

I'm still building my kit and haven't started the engine for probably 18 months.

Any suggestions as to precautions I should take before turning it over for the first time in ages.

Should I take the plugs out ? oil the bores or what

It's a Zetec silver top

Any advice greatly received

Thanks

John

http://www.johnskitcar.com

i'm no expert thats for sure so others may have better advice but i would consider dropping a bit of oil into each bore and letting it sit for a while incase the piston rings have stuck to the bores. Worst it's going to do is be a bit smokey when you are start it.

The oil will probably have absorbed some water over this time so new oil before driving it hard i would think.

Also check the belts for cracking as sat in the same place for a long time might not have been so good for them.

hth

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

Hi John.

Try turning a little bit by hand first. If it turns even just a little bit it will be ok without rings being siezed to bores. Then take the plug leads off and crank it over until oil pressure is up. Replace plug leads or coils then start. Leave running on slightly high tick over till temp rises and then swith off.

If you are using a newly built or recon engine you shouldn't have any further problem. If your engine is pre used without any internal work being carried out there is a small chance of piston rings being siezed into piston grooves.

If you are going to leave engine un-started again, plugs should be taken out and engine oil should be put down bores. Leave plugs out and crank engine. Then replace plugs but do not re-start until engine is to be used or started again.

It would also be a good thing to change engine oil after warming up and before road use.