Could Someone Explain My Ignition System C20Xe

Guest A.B

Guest 2b cruising

Take a look at the link provided by Ian and Carole. At the bottom of the page you will find the kind of leads that will probably fit your car. Goo to Renault dealer and ask to look at the length. This could be your answer

QED have confirmed the magnecor kv85 leads are for both dizzy and the later dizzyless system. So that's ok now.

Im still confused on the other end of the system. Where the dizzy usually sits I have a blanking plate. In the picture the silver piece where a dizzy usually sits with a few cables going into it ( not a HT lead ) this then goes into the mass of cables you can see at the bottom of the picture.

Two diffent ignition systems. I have a cable coming from the coil pack to where the dizzy sits in this photo. Then wires go to the ecu and all over the shop. I'd like to sort the cables out but I know if I start unwrathering then it'll all go to pot

Mine is slightly different again to the one in your last post. The cap is of the top turret type where the leads exit toward the bulkhead. I was told this was a dizzy conversion from a mk 2 cavalier. Magnecore made some custom leads up for me. Works very well

You have a non dizzy coil pack system running a VR crank sensor off a 36 - 1 tooth disc or possibly a sensor off the cam drive where the dizzy sat sensing off a 72 - 2 tooth disc

The VR signal goes to ECU which provides signal to coil pack

You can make up 1 longer lead or buy 1 lead from some places such as Demon Tweeks, Merlin Motorsport and others

In fact if you can find the right plug ends any lead from will work

First off stop even thinking about a distributer, you don't have one,you either have a later non distibuter engine or an early one that's been converted. Ignition timing will be by a stand alone ECU,there will either be a crank position sensor in the block below number 1 exhaust port or a sensor and toothed wheel on the front of the crank pulley. As I said before someone has used that lead as a bodge because the proper one was too short to reach from where the coil pack is mounted. If it's running ok either live with or just get one lead made with the right connections. Try to suss out what ECU you have because the tuner should be able to map that for best results.

The leads are a custom length so like previously stated its been bodged. I'll comtact magnecor and try and source a replacement. Ecu is motronic which I can't undo the screws to 😣

Sorry for frustrating everyone.

Guest Ian & Carole

The leads are a custom length so like previously stated its been bodged. I'll comtact magnecor and try and source a replacement. Ecu is motronic which I can't undo the screws to

Why would you want to.???

Try going to you local motor factor and ask them if they can match a set of plug leads for you.

I have over the years made "friends" with the manager of a motor factor here in Lincoln and he will open boxes to check stuff with me and on occasion allow me to route through parts bins to find stuff that I need.