Personalised Number Plate Transfer

kevin the chicken

I have just bought an old Range Rover for myself as a runabout for when the weather is too bad for the kit (no wet gear) and the wife is using her car. I now have to wait for the owner to sort out his number plate transfer which is a pain in the butt. His mate has bought a new car and he has bought his old one and now I am stuck waiting for my car to be issued with a number plate, either its original before the personal plate was put on it or a new one if the other is unavailable.

Anybody know how long this is liable to take? Is there any other way around it? I thought about trailering it home but it weighs too much for the other car and my Unimog is off the road. I'm afraid that although the chap I bought it off seems a genuine sort of bloke he doesn't seem to have much idea about this sort of thing and he's already had the paperwork sent back once because of a mistake and obviously DVLA rather than phone up would rather delay the whole thing for another week than ask a simple question by sending all the paperwork and the payment cheques back which doesn't help me.

How I miss the local DVLA office, nothing was too much trouble and letters always came back by return post!

Guest Ian & Carole

We bought a new car in September and it took just under 4 weeks, a months road fund licence wasted!!, and that was done by the dealer, the replacement tax disc, that you no longer, need took a further 10 days to arrive.

It took nearly as long to put Carole's P/Plate on to retention.

We bought a new car for Rosemary last year as her other car was sold to our daughter who is at Uni. The dealer sent all the paperwork off to DVLA Swansea Logbook etc. The dealer then said new car has now arrived about a month or 6 weeks later can they put it on new plate and then change to personalised plate later, we did not want to do this. We phoned Swansea who had no papers relating to transfer of plate dealer ended up couriering copy paperwok to Swansea and we got the car in January this year when it was all sorted. It was a nightmare ! Good LUCK with yours worth phone call to DVLA to chase up if you can. Have a Great Christmas and New Year Kevin.

Steve and Rosemary

Our new car was put onto the other halfs personal plate from new, but to be honest I wish we had done it ourselves as dealer sending paperwork this way and that delayed delivery by a month!

Guest Ian Maycock

It take DVLA 4 - 6 weeks from receiving the paperwork. They will not speak to you if your not the grantee, the person transferring the plates. I am surprised the seller hadn't already done all this before offering for sale.

We put a private plate on the mini from New. But it was first time ref had been used. From purchase to assignied it took 6 days. Dvla did say it could take 2weks to revive certificate but it was here in less than 2days

• 2 weeks later...

After all the cursing and name calling, the new registration number and log book was back with the owner in just over two weeks so that wasn't too bad. Well done DVLA. I am now the proud owner of a 1997 Range Rover which drives beautifully. A 70 mile drive home was enough to make me reasonably confident that it was ok and that there were no faults other than the ones I was aware of. Just need some snow now.