Cnc Machine For 18Mm Mdf

Guest alfaGTA

Guest alfaGTA

Does anyone operate or have a mate with such a machine?

Looking at getting some very basic stuff done using 18mm mdf, simple rectangles with some holes (15mm diameter and 12-13mm depth) to allow fitment of cam locks and dowels as used in furniture making.

Guest alfaGTA

Ok, I've missed an important part....... I have been doing this by hand and its too labour intensive (not to mention the blasted dust) and want to farm it out somewhere so I don't have to get my hands dirty allowing me to concentrate on assembly, painting, packaging etc etc. Also gives me the opportunity to offer a product for DIY self assembly at a reduced cost.

Guest alfaGTA

Sorry Del Boy I didn't realize it was part of you "next year we will be millionaires Rodney" plan.

Good luck Dave !!

Men need plans Ian, plus it may release the funds for a turbo zetec :crazy: or cover the costs for Scotland trips 8)

Not knowing exactly what bits you're wanting to get farmed out and what production scale you're thinking of, but IMHO if it was me I would be considering investing money into ways to make the 'ball-ache' jobs less labor intensive / easier so that you can keep everything 'in-house'.

In my experience, sub-contracting components out sounds like a great way of making easy money (they do the hard bit and you do the easy bit), but the sub-contractors (no matter what their size) soon become the weakest link in the chain and you spend more time chasing them up, reporting problems, complaining about poor quality, goods damaged / lost in transit......and when you've been through all that, they then jack their prices up because they know they have you over a barrel as your committed to them and your buisiness depends on them.

Not to mention they are making profit from your bits, so either you make less profit or your sell price goes up (and may put some customers off).

I know I've not answered your question and fired off at a tangent, but your venture ends up being a long term thing then IMHO you'd be much better off setting yourself up properly and keep everything in-house.

I don't mind popping over and having a look and help you fabricate jigs, clamps etc....to make life easier, my commission isn't massive ;)

Guest alfaGTA

Femi, you might be onto something there as the product would be finished a complete unit without the need for jointing, finishing, painting, adding hinges or handles........... Problem is MDF is so cheap, retail price is currently ~£100 with ~50% margin (still well below minimum wage per hr).

For perspective;

Think of a hinged box 800mm x 360mm x 360mm