Underseal

Joel

I've been advised by a man in the know that it would be a good idea to underseal the 2B, even though the panels are stainless.

Has anyone else done this, and has anyone experienced any corrosion problems - particularly those of you with a few thousand miles under your belt?

Cheers

Guest Julian B

HI Joel

I only have about 1500 ish miles on mine and i have a big tin of under seal in the garage, which i intend to use. I can’t see any obvious corrosion yet but i guess it will occur if left untreated. I think i might tackle that job the same day i creosote the fence, clear out the gutters and clear the garden of cat *bleep*> it might seem a pleasant job then!

I too would be interested what others have done.

Cheers

Julian Brewer

Guest SteveL

Hi Joel

I plan to underseal mine, even though it's stainless steel. I guess it's just one more thing to do to show the SVA guys that you have taken care over building the car.

I'm also going to be doing the same for all of the GRP wheel arches, as this should minimise any possible damage caused by stones being thrown up into the underside of the GRP (which can cause little star shaped cracks to appear)

Steve

I've put the donor arch protectors under my rear arches. This is pretty simple to do as they can be re-moulded with a heat gun and cut to shape. They're held in on with the bolts from the lights, bolts through the stone guards and a couple of self tappers into the rear panel where it folds back on itself. I figured this was a good idea because not only does it prevent stone chips in the top of the arch, but it also fills up the gap above the drive shafts, protects the wiring to the lights, and goes some way to preventing debris being collected in the curve of the side panels. About an afternoons work to do both.

Guest Angel Boy

Although I don't have the S/S chasis/panels combo I used a product called "Rubbercoat". It is quite expensive and only available mail order or if you go to the show's it is a little cheaper.

It is quite good and I have given the entire underbody/wheel arches/cycle wings a good coat. If you are interested I'll try and get the number off the tin. It does take a while to cure as it uses moisture to seal its self, but it is tuch dry in a couple of hours etc.

Andy

Guest SteveL
Although I don't have the S/S chasis/panels combo I used a product called "Rubbercoat". It is quite expensive and only available mail order or if you go to the show's it is a little cheaper.

That's the stuff I've got, but I couldn't remember the name of it when I entered my first note. They're the guys doing demo's with plastic sieves painted with the stuff to show how flexible it is etc. etc.

Steve

Have any of you got hold of rubbercoat recently? I recommended it to a mate recently but he was unable to get it from Carlife - anyone know who does it now. I'd be interested to know if anyone sees it at Stoneleigh, which I won't be able to make.

I'd thoroughly recommend it however, as a protector, sound deadener and protector for the fibre glass from stone chips etc.

Guest Phil Slater

Here's my two pen'orth for what it's worth.

Although I plan on using a rubber type sealant under the wings I've always had good and lasting results using Waxoil, so I'm planning to use it on my stainless 2B - in due course!!!!!. It can be a bit messy putting it on but, once it sets, it's flexible and to an extent "self healing" when damaged by road debris.

Phil Slater

Here's an interesting idea for the rear arches : carpet.

This came about when I used to own a Ford Puma, which was spookily quiet. I noticed that the wheel arch inners were made of a material that looks like automotive carpet (the fibrous stuff that most modern car manufacturers use in order to encourage thae sale of mat sets). Of course it got a soaking evry time it rained but it was excellent at sound deadening and protecting the metalwork underneath.

A good quality automotive carpet with short pile would do just as well. Say, the carpet that RHE supply that can be heat-formed prior to fitting. This looks to be a good quality product with a heavy, stiff backing material and RHE seem to have put an awful lot of it in my kit. If I have any spare I'll be lining the rear arches at least.

Right guys, the rubber coat stuff under the fibreglass arches and wings is the best way to go, alternatively about 3 coats of underseal (get a good thick coating) for the poorer people, and you need to paint over any welded joints on stainless monocoque cars (pre-2B) as he didn't use stainless wire to weld (and the fact that they weren't "best" stainless, they are magnetic....try it!) I can't speak for the 2B stainless chassis, although from memory it looks like it's been done with correct stainless wire, and "proper" stainless tube, so should be OK without being painted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Someone asked me for the address for Carlife (rubbercoat supplier) at the Cheshire show yesterday so here goes

Carlife

51 Oxford Ave

Guiseley

Leeds

LS20 9BY

TEL 01943 870148

Sheeny has been trying a number he has and it's discontiued, not sure if this is same.

This address was taken from the tin i got at Donington last year

HTH

Mitch

Hi .

Thanks for the phone number Mitch, unfortunately it has the unobtainable

tone when you ring. I tried yell-com and they do not appear to have

any record of a firm by that name in leeds.

If any one has info about Carlife it would be appreciated if you can post

a message.It seems there are a number of people after some.

thanks pete

• 1 month later...

Done some research on this and picked up the leaflet at Newark. The number on it is still the one which has been giving everyone no joy, but instead of Carlife, cheques are now payable to 'D Mercer'.

A search for him, at the 51 Oxford Ave address on the BT electronic phone book gives his number as 01943 873008. Haven't tried it - but it might be worth a try.

Click Here for a shabby copy of the price list.

This is the online BT directory enquiries: http://www.bt.com/directory-enquiries/dq_home.jsp