More Mot Woes

Peter Bell

I had booked the car in for a test, as I hadn't used it for about 2 months thought I should take it for a ride. Noticed there was water under the car discovered that a steel pipe in the cooling system had rusted through and was weeping. Drained the system and ordered a replacement piece which arrived the next day, fitted, refilled, tried to start noticed a strong smell of petrol, fuel hose leaking. Back to car factors for more hose, battery flattened, recharged. Ready for test! Short shakedown drive in the morning before test, all fine, sun shining even. Passed mot, went to drive it off brake rollers and throttle cable broke, so drove it home (not too far) through town on fastish tickover and choke, annoying many drivers.

Typical couple of days for kit car ownership!

MX5 due for it's test in the next couple of weeks, what could go wrong?

• Like 1

Mine never made it to the test last November. Got in, thought the floors a bit wet but it lives out in the rain so started up, backed out and got a slightly long brake pedal. Set off down the road and hardly any brakes. The wet floor was brake fluid. Hoses had rotted from master cylinder to resevoir. Gently back home where it still sits part mended only. Ahhh sad!

Nigel

• Like 1