2B Sliding Pillar Build Info Gathering

Sid76

Oct - 2014

Other than the forum - i have really struggled to find any reference to the build of the car. I have purchased an old S7 build book from Kitspares along with some old catalogues. I am really trying to find reference to sliding pillar suspension. I know this is made up of a myriad of parts. When i was digging around on the internet i came across these.

Robin Hood Build Videos on YouTube

Build Video 1

http://youtu.be/CoXGacMEi-E

Video 1 looks at the following;

H7S, changes to car updates etc, at 23 mins he goes into talking about the wishbone set up.

My first impressions were "is this guy for real" and can i please get these videos so that i can edit them in some sort of order. But i think thats just me OCD coming out!!! :wacko: Seriously - if anyone has these on DVD i will gladly do this. Any money then raised (after costs) can go to Charidy.

Build Video 2

http://youtu.be/rLjLI2t0r7A

video 2 looks at the following; suspension continued and looking at the cycle wings, after 5 minutes he then jumps to the steering rack, 5 minutes later he moves onto the anti roll bar and at 17 minutes he starts lookg at the donor tank (from the sierra) and the rear boot cover. 2 minutes later we are back to the multi bend tube for the cycle wing brackets. at 22 mins in we start to look at the wiper motor (from the sierra), the bonnet and pick up (Bonnet catch). On to the heater matrix and fire wall at 27 minutes. Back to the cycle wings at 30 minutes, at 33 back to the luggage/boot cover at 38 minutes we are back to the cycle wings and plates for the cycle wing brackets. before finishing off at 39 minutes to look at the radiator.

I am now dizzy and need a lie down! :o

Guest Ian & Carole

Wait until you get to video 4 and he tells you that some of the stuff you did from video 1 was incorrect and not to do it that way, :crazy: :crazy: :rofl: that's if you are still awake by then, one of the best cures for insomnia than any drugs. :lazy: :lazy: :lazy:

If you have stripped back to basics I would seriously consider chopping off the "pillar" set up and doing a wish bone conversion, much easier now than later on..

Thanks Ian (& 2b Cruising)

I really would like to do. I visited GBS (and Kit spares) a few weeks ago to pick up some bits and I got the hard sell regarding the zero using mine as a donor. The trouble is i don't have the £2345 for the starter. I was considering the wishbone upgrade until i saw a post on here saying it would cost an extra £4-500 on what i originally thought would be a £600 outlay. Again £1100 is a bit much to swallow at the mo.

The plan is to get the car up and running at SVA'd. Simon at GBS said you can modify the sliding pillars to accept a high tensile M12 threaded rod which will strengthen the whole system. I think i am going down that route (for now). Just need to find an engineering firm (around my way) who can accurately drill out and tap me the hole to accept the new rod.

Guest 2b cruising

I think any small local firm would be willing and able to do that at a small cost. Easy to do yourself if you have a drill and tap.

A member local to yourself will probably keenly help you.

Just open in chit chat. HELP and follow up with what you need.

I'm sure you will get success. HTH. Ken

Guest Ian & Carole

I had my sliding shafts modified here in Lincoln by a small engineering shop for less than £15.00 although a few years ago now, I would have thought £25.00 would see it done.