Talbot Express Motorhome Needs New Engine. (Help)

Guest kevin booth

Guest kevin booth

Looking at a very good condition 1990 motorhome with dead engine, you cannot get these engines anymore. So thinking of putting a modern diesel in it, its front wheel drive so options are. Engine with conversion plate or engine and box and sort driveshafts out. Anyway need suggestions on what engine might fit.

Don't quote me but after aquick search it looks like and engine from the PSA group might fit. Peugeot engine http://www.talbotoc.com/2-5-turbo-diesel-engine-replacement-options-t3065.html?mobile=off

Failing that what is wrong with the existing engine, could a rebuild by a decent engine shop be worthwhile, if not then the old trusted Transit engine with an adaptor plate/bell housing.

Guest 2b cruising

Renault engines should fit. Especially the older type. Problem with commercial engines is they all do heavy mileage.

Hunt around in the camping forum. People in that club would be more likely to know about this kind of conversion.

HTH. Ken

i loved my dads talbot express. Was a normal van he converted from new and had for over 14 years. It is an inch taller inside than the mid-top transit even though the transit is higher outside! FWD sure does have its advantages.

Can't remember but i think the fiat was also the same but re-badged so might have luck there too.

Have a really good look at the front bonnet edge i'd be amazed if it hasn't been repaired as i remember it being a rust magnet (my friends dads camper went there also) and also on the panels under the front lights.

The gear linkage was also a crazy setup from memory and mostly involved bashing the gearstick around until you find a gear :)

If its that good a van then £500 on an engine rebuild might be worth it and then you know you have a solid engine again rather than some random engine.