Distributor Oil Leak

anybody ever had any issues with oil leaking from the distributor on pinto engine....

Or around that area... Cannot quite make out if every time I drive the car it's the distribution or the fuel pump leaking oil.

At least I know where the bloody leak is coming from on the gearbox sump....... Thanks for grounding it Nikki...! 😡

Oh well accidents will happen (shame it was the cars first time on the road this year).

I had an oil leak in the same sort of area. I looked like it could either be the dizzy or the fuel pump. I changed the O ring on the dizzy and the gasket on the fuel pump. the leak was still there. Over the winter I tracked it down. It was just one of the jobs on the to do list while the car was on SORN. It turned out to be the auxiliary shaft oil seal. The oil was travelling round to the fuel pump and dizzy area when the car was being driven.

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

the bottom part of fuel pump has the operating spindle going through it. Also some have diaphragm breather hole. If leak is from here you need a full strip down and seal putting in the pump on the op shaft.

This cannot always be done. In that case new pump needed, if leak is from there.

when you run bike carbs the proper way to go is run a bike pump and do away with mechanical pump then you aint messin with pressure reducers

Luckily...no issues with fuel leaks....YET

Just wondered why there seems to be a lot of oil leaking around that area and would like to trace it.

I don't think it's the distributor, as it quite new and the o-ring shouldn't perish in less than a year.

After some of the suggestions I then started looking around the fuel pump and thought I would try the easy cheapest options first.

Is the fuel pump gasket easy to change without much messing about?

If this fixes the issue, then all well and good.

If not, then it's onto what David suggested - aux shaft oil seal (after stripping the front end down if Feb, it can wait until it SORN again).

Rocker cover gasket might be leaking and running down the block?

I hoping I can cross this one off the list, I changed the rocker cover and gasket in Feb as the original one was leaking :)

Unless it's sneaking down the inside of the timing belt cover and out of visual sight...mmmm :sorry:

Guest Ian & Carole

Dean

Don't beat your self up over a pinto leaking a drop of oil, they all do.

If you put a tea spoon full of hot engine oil onto your engine see what a mess it makes.

Unless you are losing an oil changes worth in a month keep an oily rag in engine bay and have a wipe round every time you check you oil and water.

Like said on here many times "a pinto with out an oil leak is a pinto with no oil in it!!!"

Two bolts for the fuel pump and two jubilee clips for the hoses. Gasket cut from weetabix packet. 15 minutes max.

Flush area with gunk and wash off the oil. Then keep watch for new oil.

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder
  • Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

My money is on the fuel pump operating rod seal and oil coming out the pump breather.

Easy to trace if area pre cleaned and watch the breather hole while the engine is running.

If this is the case, have a new pump ready to change it with.

• 2 weeks later...

Been monitoring this leak and wiping it since passing the MOT and taking it for a spin yesterday.

The leak is excessive and not from the pump gasket (need to check the breather as noted above....sorry forgot until re-reading this again)

I will be driving and checking it again over the next couple of days, but must admit, it is losing a lot of oil.

It now seems to be more of a spray of oil around the bottom of the distributor, timing belt cover area (so ordered a gasket set, just encase).

Only did around 30 - 40 miles yesterday and lost enough oil that the dipstick is now reading minimum, (considering it was on the maximum).

I hoping most of this is the oil settling and filling the filter on it first proper drive out.

But doesn't bode well.

Edited by Dino