Short Term Insurance - Heeeelllllppp!

Guest Brummie

Guest Brummie

Some bloody great ideas guys, but....

The car is 350 miles away from home, so bunging the current owner any dosh or even giving him a lift back is going to be a non-starter!

I reckon I will probably end up going with the monthly installments option

I am still trying to convince our company car fleet admin chaps that the company insurance plan covers me though - so who knows eh ?

Couldn't you find a donor closer to home?

what donor is it? is it gold plated with an F1 engine or somthing?

Between you and me (shh.. don't tell anyone else) but most of us just drive it home anyway :o :o :o :o :o :o ;)

Guest Battery Bill

Guy

Between you and me (shh.. don't tell anyone else) but most of us just drive it home anyway

I'm shocked :blink: You seemed like such a nice bloke :blink: Can't believe you would "break the Law" :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Battery Bill

Chris

no names but northen not english accent

Well I thought Feek was a perfectly law abiding citizen, now you are telling me he's wanted by interpol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest daveg

I had my tin top written off recently :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So I had no car...during one of my frequent chats with my insurance company <_< I asked about insurance if I went and picked up another car...

He said "you are covered but TPO"...note: I had comprehensive insurance...so you might be covered if you have a tin top with insurance

Dave

Guest Dredd

The towed vehicle needs insurance, it cannot be passed off as a trailer unless it is no longer classified as a motor vehicle i.e. no engine, control mechanisms etc. Some insurance companies will have a clause that will penalise you for 6 months premium if you cancel after one month.

The trade plate idea is also iffy as the company holding the plate could (if found out) get a considerable fine for improper use. You could get a friend to go with you and drive it home on their insurance as comprehensive policies generally allow you to drive anyone elses vehicle on a Third party basis or get a trailer for the day.

Guest Battery Bill

Derek

You could get a friend to go with you and drive it home on their insurance as comprehensive policies generally allow you to drive anyone elses vehicle on a Third party basis

But does that not require the car to be insured by someone else as well, I did not think you could drive an uninsured car on your policy as a borrowed car (Well I know what I mean :wub: ? :rolleyes:

Guest Dredd

Bill

The insurance cover relates to your use of the car on a road. It is irrelevant if the car is already insured or not as your insurance is providing the requisite level of cover. As always the small print of your own policy should be examined to see if there are any additional conditions! :mellow:

I agree with Bill, certainly used to be the law that there must be a valid T P insurance policy specificaly naming the car. A non owner can then drive it on his tin top insurance but as soon as he steps out of the car his insurance is no longer applicable and it reverts to its 'own' insurance. If it doesn't have one the offence is keeping a car on the public highway without a valid cert of insurance. (Personal experience many years ago. Automatic ban!)

Nigel

Guest Dredd

Okay, now the technical bit...

The Road Traffic Act 1988, Section 143(1) It is an offence for a person to use a motor vehicle on a road or other public place unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of Part VI of this Act.

The scenario we are discussing (friend to collect with new owner), the friend would need to have a valid certificate of insurance for his own car and that policy would need to state that he can drive any other vehicle with the owners permission on a third party basis, for example:

The Company will indemnify the Insured in respect of legal liability for death of or bodily injury to any person and damage to property caused by or in connection with

the Insured Vehicle;

the driving by the Insured (with the owner's permission) of any motor car or motor cycle neither owned nor held under a hire purchase agreement by the Insured;

a trailer or disabled mechanically propelled vehicle attached to any vehicle described above.

Clearly the vehicle would have to be placed off the road (or public place) when it reached it's destination because once the friend had stopped using it, it becomes uninsured until the new owner takes out a policy.

The penalty for using a motor vehicle without insurance is an obligitory 6 - 8 points and a discretionery fine.

As always if in doubt, check with the insurance company.

Guest Brummie

Brilliant comprehensive and conclusive posting mate!

Oh - btw.....

I got the donor home anyway by taking out my own TPFT policy - which I will be cancelling as soon as I can get the car into my garage, which will be as soon as I can get stuff out of my garage and into my house, which will be as soon as the rooms which the stuff will be going into (i.e. Spare bedroom and my sons bedrooms) are tidied up, which might well involve them putting stuff in my chuffin garage...... Oh Feck - can I really do this ????????/ :blink: :boohoo:

I know the feeling Brummie, I've got a donor waiting to go into my garage but I've got a very nearly but not quite finished RH in their at the moment! To top it all, the wife thinks I'm going to put the flannel holder up in the bathroom this weekend :lol: :lol: :lol: You should have herd what she said when I told her I'm getting a new engine on Tuesday :angry: